The Duke of Burgundy is a 2014 independent film following the relationship between a lecturer and a woman who studies butterflies and moths.
The Duke of Burgundy contains examples of:
- Book-Ends: the movie opens and closes with Cynthia and Evelyn playing out the same scripted BDSM scene.
- Brains and Bondage: Cynthia is an academic and a lecturer. Evelyn is studying lepidopterology.
- Character Tics: Cynthia is seen drinking a glass of water several times when she is nervous.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Female: When Cynthia ignores Evelyn's safeword, but is never confronted about this and the issue is never addressed directly.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Both Evelyn and Cynthia are this.