Innocent Witness is a 2019 South Korean drama film directed by Lee Han. The main plot of the film is about the relationship between a lawyer and a autistic student.
Soon-ho is an attorney who need to pay his father's debt. One day, he got an murder case: Mi-ran, a housekeeper was accused of murdering her master. Mi-ran claimed that she found her master dead in his own room. The only witness of this case is an autistic high school student named Ji-woo. In order to convince Ji-woo attend witness, Soon-ho decide to meet her, and befriend with her.
This film provides examples of:
- Amoral Attorney: Zig zagged to Soon-ho. He was a former human-right lawyer, then employed in a law firm which notorius for side with evil company. He try to defensing his client even that means to insult witness he befriend with, but then side with witness when found witness is right.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Kyung-Hee looks like Ji-woo's best friend, but the thing is, Kyung-Hee is just using Ji-woo, and always abuse her behind people.
- Bullying the Disabled: Most of Ji-woo's classmates bully her because of her autistic behavior.
- When in First trial, Soon-ho's side stated that Ji-woo's autism is a mental problem that makes her unable to be vaild witness, which hurts her deeply.
- The Butler Did It: Double subverted to Mi-ran. At first, Mi-ran claimed that she is innocent of murdering her master and looks like she is right. However, it reveled that Mi-ran is lying because she got order from victim's son.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Yoon-Jae is CEO of CA, a feminine hygiene manufacturer accused of its production makes cancer.
- Hollywood Autism: Ji-woo is an autistic student who interested in puzzle game, state something which really makes logical sense, but not good at communication and identify others facial expressions. She's also sensitive on hearing.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: Soon-ho is struggle with which side he wants to be: Soo-In, a idealism attorney who fight with big company, or Byung-Woo, a cynical partnership of Soon-ho's law firm, who stated that he needs some of "pollution".