The Grimborn Sister by Lizby is a Dragons: Riders of Berk fanfic set in an AU where Astrid, rather than being a Hofferson who grew up on Berk, is actually the younger sister of Ryker and Viggo Grimborn. Initially just living with her brothers, privately resenting the lack of freedom in her life despite her wealth, her life changes when she and Hiccup run into each other in a market, starting a chain of events that lead to her being taken to Dragons Edge as Hiccup sets out to teach her more about dragons.
The Grimborn Sister contains examples of:
- Adaptational Early Appearance: Eret appears early as the Grimborns have hired him as Astrids bodyguard.
- Adaptation Relationship Overhaul: While Heather was just a close ally of the Riders, here she is explicitly romantically involved with Fishlegs.
- Adaptational Wimp: Technically, anyway; Astrid hasnt had any of the physical training she had in canon, to the point that she has trouble opening the damaged door of the dragon pens on the Edge, but she still demonstrates enough natural skill to win an axe-throwing contest the first time she enters one on Hiccups encouragement.
- Black Sheep: Astrid basically fits this role in her family, as she disagrees with her brothers dragon-hunting profession even before she meets Hiccup.
- Foreshadowing: The first chapter opens approximately a year after the main story begins, with Hiccup musing on the events that led to him meeting Astrid and making reference to him losing her followed by a great battle.
- Girl of My Dreams: Hinted at for Hiccup; while Snotlout and Tuffnut have visited a brothel in a nearby market island (Fishlegs being in a committed relationship to Heather), Hiccup has never felt comfortable doing that himself as he feels as though he would be cheating on a woman he hasn't met yet, an image that resolves itself when he first meets Astrid.
- Ignorant of Their Own Ignorance: Hiccup and Astrid are each unware that Camicazi and Eret have feelings for them.
- In Spite of a Nail: Despite Astrids absence, events on Berk have apparently unfolded basically the same as they did in canon, save for the fact that Hiccup apparently never had a crush on Camicazi (who, apart from references to her being from another tribe, has otherwise basically taken Astrids role), and it would appear that Fishlegs was the first person on Berk to learn about Toothless after Hiccup.
- On a more minor note, while Stormfly is now Camicazis dragon, Astrid ends up training what appears to be her canon Terrible Terror, Sneaky.
- Related in the Adaptation: Astrid is the sister of Ryker and Viggo Grimborn.
- Shipping Torpedo: Hiccup is unaware that he has fired several of these to Camicazi, asking for her support as his best friend as he attempts to show Astrid that dragons arent monsters.
- Uptown Girl: Fishlegs feels that Hiccup has fallen victim to this as he mentions that Astrid was introduced to him as a lady, but Hiccup argues that it technically doesnt apply due to his own status as heir of Berk, even if he doesnt usually place that much emphasis on his title.