One last time, she only wanted to see her son one last time. Fifteen years since Cloudjumper took her away, Valka returns to Berk to see her son before leaving forever. But the son she left has grown up, and he's taken after her in more ways than one. For Hiccup, his life suddenly changes when he finds a mysterious dragon lady in the woods.
The fanfic can be read on Fanfiction.net.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- For Want of a Nail: What if Valka decides to see Hiccup just as he finds the Night Fury he shot down?
- In Spite of a Nail: Despite Valka's presence, Hiccup still learns about Toothless and becomes popular as a "prodigy dragon slayer".
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Downplayed (since the reader already knows that Valka was Hiccup's mother all along).
- Mentor Archetype: Because she relates to Hiccup more than Stoick, Gobber or anyone else in the village ever could, Valka takes it upon herself not just to help him learn to tame and train dragons, but also how to fight in a way that accommodates to his body-type and ethos.
- Secret Test of Character: Downplayed. Valka (still-masked, mind you) does not reveal her presence to Hiccup until after he frees Toothless when he is defenseless and made an easy kill.