The Awful Truth About The Powerpuff Girls is a 2000 The Powerpuff Girls fanfic by by Icekings2000 (now just "Icekings"). It's a twenty-chapter oneshot about the Professor and Ms. Keane being secretly evil.
One day after class, Ms. Keane keeps Buttercup behind after she causes trouble. A few moments later Buttercup arrives home in a panic, missing an arm. The Professor is less concerned about this then you'd think and treats it as just a scratch. As it turns out, he's seen this before.
As the story goes on, it becomes clear that the Professor is actually using the Powerpuff Girls for evil. He's been cloning them to act as an army, with Ms. Keane, who is secretly his sister, as an ally. Being the most resistant to the brainwashing, it's up to Blossom to save everyone.
The Awful Truth About The Powerpuff Girl provides examples of:
- Adaptation Name Change: Ms. Keane's name is actually "Kay", or at least it is in the movie. It might be her first name, making her Named by the Adaptation instead, but the characters don't treat it as such.
- Adaptational Villainy: Professor Utonium and Ms. Keane are a Sibling Team of mad scientists who want to take over the world. Or, at least they are in the film.
- Bloodier and Gorier: There's a lot of casual blood and dismemberment in the story.
- Dark Fic: The story is a dark twist on The Powerpuff Girls where the girls were secretly created for evil. The reveal that it's a movie turns it into something else as well.
- Related in the Adaptation: The Professor and Ms. Keane are siblings. Subverted as it's just a film.
- Twist Ending: It turns out that the entire fic is an in-universe film the girls are in.