Team 7: A Retelling is a Peggy Sue fic by Tellemicus Sundance that handles it in a different manner than most. Instead of a character sending themselves, or their memories, back into the past, Sasuke ends up having a scroll sent to him from his future self. Of course, this being his future self's first time pulling off such a feat, it doesn't end up in Sasuke's hand when it was supposed to, one year after the massacre, but three days after it. Thus, Sasuke ends up learning a few facts from canon (as of when the story began) sooner than his future counterpart planned and the butterfly effect quickly changes things.
The fanfic can be found here
This Fanfic provides examples of:
- Adaptational Badass: Sakura, big time due to the changes in the story forcing her to take her initial training more seriously than in canon.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Sasuke does this to Sarutobi in the first chapter when he learns of the truth behind the massacre.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Naruto, obviously. His tendency to this is slightly toned down since he actually had some friends growing up.
- Killed By The Adaptation: Kabuto and his team mates are killed by Madara, though in Kabuto's case, he is in a clever trap to let him die slowly.
- Peggy Sue: Naturally, though in Sasuke's case, it's different. Madara plays this trope straight.
- Revenge Before Reason: Sasuke himself noticed this about his future self, to the point where he was willing to destroy Konoha by any means. He doesn't like what he learns, even if he has some aspects of this himself.
- Shout-Out: Team 7's training at the start is a big one to Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple. Lampshaded by Kakashi when he inflicts it on them.
- Training from Hell: The performance of Team 7 during their test by Kakashi, not to mention some suspicions from others, means that Kakashi puts them through this to buy time for his observations.