From the author's own story summary:
After dying on her 20th birthday, Dani is offered a surprising choice: Be sent peacefully to the afterlife, or enter the world of Yu Yu Hakusho and attempt to prevent the apocalypse. Koenma says Dani was chosen for this mission at random. Too bad Koenma is a liar, leaving Dani unprepared for her role in a plot spanning multiple realities and times.
Exactly What It Says on the Tin, this is a Yu Yu Hakusho fanfiction story in which it follows the misadventures of Dani, who ends up dying on her 20th birthday. She is given a choice by a war-torn Koenma to either move on to the afterlife or undertake a mission to prevent the future hes had to watch unfold thanks to the mysterious and dangerous artefact, the Book of Beasts. Said Book was stolen by a human psychic named Ryu, who somehow managed to get inside of the Spirit Worlds Vault and walk right out with it. The further Dani delves into the rabbit hole, the more complicated things become, especially when she cant reveal shes from another world, let alone the one shes in is fictitious where she comes from.
A masterpiece by Graphospasm, Future Talk is an intriguing fanfiction that turns a lot of cliches on their heads and spins new looks on them. There's drama, humor, horror, mystery and snark galore from the main cast as well as the story's protagonist, Dani. There's also a lot of Awesome Music worked into the chapters and the chapter titles themselves allude to music as well! A perfect theme going on right there, in regards to how music incorporates itself in the story as a weapon at times. Not to mention the absolutely astounding world-building, characterization, character development, and intricate plots woven together that Graph has done. It's completed as of 15 August 2016, at a whopping 105 chapters.
This fanfiction contains examples of:
- Adorkable: Dani is this. This is Dani. It's also Lauren. Yukina and Botan pull this off as well!
- Amazon Brigade: The Sisters' society in Demon World qualify, easily.
- Another Dimension: What the Yu Yu Hakusho world could count as. Alternatively, the Beasts destroy other worlds in different timelines and different worlds, so a Multiverse rule might apply here as well.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The giant water demon that very nearly eats Dani in chapter 39.
- Badass Crew: The Yu Yu Hakusho gang, of course.
- Badass Normal: Anyone who isn't a demon, like Kuwabara. Dani has shades of this, but she's a demon. A very weak-leveled one, but a demon nonetheless, thanks to Future Koenma.
- Big-Bad Ensemble: It comes in three. The Beast, first and foremost, is the main threat lurking in the background and the main reason everyone in the Yu Yu group are all so edgy when Dani appeared. Seishou consists of the second part, a mysterious and violent entity that is in cahoots with the last villain, Ryu, a powerful human psychic who stole the Book of Beasts from the Spirit Realm. All without breaking a sweat.
- Bigger Is Better: Three words: Giant squirrel mounts.
- Damsel in Distress: Poor Dani. She's small and has a deformed leg, so running is usually never an option she can take. She gets kidnapped, beaten, tortured, nearly eaten, and more. She has her moments of badassery to shine through to make up for this, though.
- The Dragon: While powerful, Ryu should definitely be considered this when compared to the Beast or even Seishou.
- First-Person Perspective: The story is told from Dani's point of view the entire story, except for the last few chapters. Then it switches to Hiei.
- First-Person Smartass: Dani, to a T. Later on, one could even say Hiei fits the bill.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Lauren. She is the one who has designed, programmed, and created the machines that are at the epicenter of things, and the only reason she, the other 'Bright Ladies', and the 'Dark One' have survived as long as they have.
- Leitmotif: "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper is a reoccurring song that represents a very integral part and theme between Dani and Lauren's friendship and closeness. It also serves as a small part of the plot here and there.
- Love Interests: It was wibbly-wobbly in terms of who may or may not have been a 'love interest candidate' early on in the story. The matter settles itself later on as the story progressed.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: The Beast is not a being to trifle with. To a smaller degree, the Salamanders could also qualify as such.
- Never the Selves Shall Meet: Future Koenma takes this into consideration while outfitting Dani into a new body for her mission in the Yu Yu Hakusho world. Considering Dani's doppelganger in that world has possibly already died, there's not much to worry about.
- Older Than They Look: Lauren and Seishou. The America of the Yu Yu Hakusho world was wiped off the map for over ten thousand years. Lauren, Seishou, and many others who are gone now have been been in stasis for years.
- Original Character: Anyone who's not on the Yu Yu Hakusho character spreadsheet counts as this and there's quite a few of them out there. Front and center is Dani, the story's narrator and protagonist.
- The Power of Love: The curious thing about love is, is that The Beast just doesn't understand it. And this becomes its downfall when Dani, an ordinary girl, defeats it with the love she has for her friends, her family, her boyfriend, and most importantly, herself.