Mabel in Butterhurst is a Gravity Falls fanfiction written by author "TechnoFusion".
One day while trying to lure customers to the Shack for Grunkle Stan, Mabel encounters a strange boy. She's never met him before, but he somehow knows her name. He continues to act weirder and weirder, and finally asks her to speak privately with him. He explains that his name is Sebastian, and that he comes from another land - another universe, in fact - known as Butterhurst. Fifty years ago, the land was attacked by a rare breed of monsters, causing mass death and destruction. They thought the magical girls of fifty years past slaughtered them all...but somehow or another, more have turned up.
In their attempt to find new magical girls, the watchers of Butterhurst encountered Mabel and her amazing battles against mythical creatures with her brother on an almost daily basis. They decided that she would be a great magical girl, and as such had Sebastian make her the offer.
When Mabel arrives in Butterhurst, she meets three other girls - Angel, Ella, and Naomi - who have also been recruited as magical girls, and as such their journey begins.
Mabel in Butterhurst provides examples of:
- Black Comedy: Sebastian cracks up while telling the story of his birth, which involves his father committing suicide right in front of him. The girls don't find it amusing.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: The first chapter opens up to Mabel in the middle of a recurring nightmare, where the walls are "painted red" and she's running from something unknown...
- Extreme Omnisexual: Sebastian mentions his father as this in chapter 2. At first he says that his goal was to bed every woman in Butterhurst, but then changes it to "everything", remembering rumors about his father and 'a few animals'.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: During the flashback in chapter 2, Sebastian starts to tell the girls his father banned witches from Butterhurst "because they didn't give good...", but then changes it to "they weren't to his satisfaction."
- The Glomp: Naomi does this upon meeting Mabel.
- Homoerotic Subtext: It's mentioned that Ella's face briefly turns to 'affection' the first time she sees Mabel. She also stumbles her words and acts quite awkward around her.
- Ignore The Fan Service: Sebastian isn't entertained by Naomi's "tight-fitting dress" as a normal twelve-year-old boy would be...however, he reveals immediately afterwards he's not a normal twelve-year-old boy (see Really 700 Years Old).
- I Know Karate: Mabel thinks about using this trope when she first encounters Sebastian, not sure if she can trust him or not.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: Mabel tries to use this excuse on Sebastian in chapter 2, only for him to tell her she doesn't have a dog.Mabel: (thinking) Darn, he really has been watching me.
- I Never Told You My Name: Mabel is understandably freaked out when Sebastian knows her name immediately in the first chapter.
- Magical Girl: The main theme of the story is Mabel becoming one, as well as other girls.
- Make a Wish: Sebastian offers each of the girls 'any wish they want' in exchange for their service to Butterhurst. Rather or not these wishes will be corrupted or not is yet to be seen, as we're still early on in the story.
- Must Have Caffeine: When we first meet Angel, she's extremely tired, sarcastic, and irritable, and greets Mabel a bit rudely. Once she wakes up and has coffee, she's in a much better mood.
- Naked People Are Funny: Trying to lure Sebastian in as a tourist to the Mystery Shack in chapter 1, Mabel uses this line:Mabel: Ever seen a sasquatch with a human crotch before? I'll give you an uncensored view!
- No More for Me: In chapter 1, Mabel believes that her famous Mabel Juice might be causing her nightmares.
- Really 700 Years Old: Sebastian is revealed as this in chapter 2. He's actually lost count of his age.
- Shout-Out: Ella is introduced playing a puzzle game with play coins, heavily implied to be Professor Layton (or its equivalent in Butterhurst).
- Voluntary Shapeshifter: Sebastian, though he's only mastered a few forms.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Mabel's first reaction to Sebastian's accent.