Home Is Where the Haunt Is is a Gravity Falls fan fiction written by fanfiction.net user PaperKayak. In the story, Mabel and Dipper meet a new neighbor named Patrick Mason, and Mabel is thrilled to discover that Mr. Mason shares her love of art and sculpting. However, when Mabel's health begins to decline after spending more and more time with Mr. Mason, Dipper begins to suspect that this new neighbor is more than meets the eye.
This work contains examples of the following tropes:
- Affably Evil: Mr. Mason is very formal and polite... until he loses his temper.
- Big Brother Instinct: Dipper takes it upon himself to confront Mr. Mason when he thinks the latter may be harming his sister.
- Cassandra Truth: No one pays attention when Dipper insists that something isn't right about Mr. Mason.
- Gratuitous Latin: The spell Dipper uses to create fire can be translated directly from Latin.
- Improvised Weapon: A chair leg, used by both Dipper and the fairy princess sculpture.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Between Mabel and Mr. Mason.
- Police Are Useless: Stan points this out after Durland and Blubs do nothing to help find Dipper.
- Properly Paranoid: Dipper suspected from the beginning that something wasn't right about Mr. Mason.