Know Your Mare is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfiction by Overlord Flinx. It consists of a series of "interviews" in the style of Know Your Stars from All That, of the main and supporting characters, the villains, and later the background characters of the show. These are conducted by a mysterious, disembodied voice, and later more voices join in the fun. Though at first it was only a parody, the brilliant chemistry of the cast eventually led to it becoming a proper fic on its own, and leading to the starting point of the rest of the Flinxverse.
After many months of laughter, the fic was completed on October 31, 2014... only to come back in time for Season Five of Friendship is Magic. It can be read here, with a comic adaption here, and an animated adaption by Bogyle Bronies here.
This fanfiction contains examples of:
- Bilingual Bonus: The interviewers insult Braeburn in Spanish in his chapter... not that he can understand it.
- Blatant Lies: Most of the interview content.
- Cheerful Child: Pipsqueak, obviously.
- Dude, Not Funny!: Voice #1 cuts off Voice #2 when she goes too far in insulting Diamond Tiara.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Voice #1 refuses to joke about child abuse.
- The Gadfly: Voice #1. The entirety of his interview content is meant to anger his guests.
- Insult Backfire: Pinkie Pie agrees with every insult the voice can think up in her first appearance, so he's the one storming out in a huff.
- The voice simply cannot find a way to insult Princess Cadance. She tells him that she can come back when he thinks of something.
- Morality Pet: Voice #3, to the other voices.
- Not in Front of the Kid: Voice #1 refuses to make sex jokes in front of Voice #3.
- The Other Darrin: In episode 4, Fluttershy is voiced by Msikarishipper and Rainbow Dash is voiced by Alioopster27, but when they appear next in episode 9, Fluttershy is voiced by StarryFlameVA and Rainbow Dash is voiced by Brittney Ackerman.
- Out of Order: Due to casting issues, some of the episodes of the Animated Adaptation have been released before others meant to come before them. Episode 8 was released after episodes 1-6, but before episode 7. After episode 7, the next to be released was episode 10, then 12, then 9. Episode 11 hasn't come out yet. Creates quite a disconnect for people coming in wanting to watch the series in chronological order when in episode 9, the announcer has a less echo-y voice (though still the same VA), but it becomes echo-y again in episode 10 (and will presumably be less echo-y again in the yet to be released episode 11, going back to echo-y in episode 12, and less echo-y in all future episodes), and that episodes 9 and 12 (and all episodes yet to be released, presumably) each use a different text font than all the other episodes (though, in that case, it only "changes back" to the old font in episode 10, although episodes 9 and 12 each use a different font, and as a result, episode 12's font will presumably only appear in that episode before going back to the one used in episode 9, which will presumably also be used for episode 11).
- Running Gag: Doctor Whooves has never gotten that interview.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: The voice, the first time he had to interview Pinkie Pie.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Voice #'s 1, 2, and 4 get less villainous over the course of the story. Voice #3 is already a sweetheart. Seeing as he's Pipsqueak and all.
- Vocal Evolution: Starting with Episode 9 (in story order, not the ninth to be released), the narrator's voice becomes less echo-y. Possibly to better emphasize that the voice is really Discord.