Tom Robbins is a writer of comic novels, which are often experimental in form and subject. Many of his books have satirical, political, and erotic elements.
His works include:
- Another Roadside Attraction (1971)
- Even Cowgirls Get The Blues (1976)
- Still Life With Woodpecker (1980)
- Jitterbug Perfume (1984)
- Skinny Legs And All (1990)
- Half Asleep In Frog Pajamas (1994)
- Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates (2000)
- Villa Incognito (2003)
- Wild Ducks Flying Backward (2005) a collection of non-fiction essays, reviews, and short stories.
- B Is For Beer (2009)
His books include examples of:
- Apocalypse Cult: In Skinny Legs And All, Reverend Buddy Winkler is working with terrorists who plan to bomb The Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem, so that the Third Temple can be built.
- Author Appeal: Heterosexual anal sex is in many of the books.
- Author Filibuster: Usually in a hilarious way.
- The Film of the Book: Even Cowgirls Get the Blues.
- Good People Have Good Sex: Leigh-Cheri and Bernard in Woodpecker — admittedly he's an outlaw bomber, but he only blows things up, not people.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Still Life with Woodpecker.
- Immortal Procreation Clause: Jitterbug Perfume
- Lemony Narrator: Most of his books.
- Narrator All Along: Another Roadside Attraction
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: Jitterbug Perfume
- Second-Person Narration: Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas
- The 'Verse: Some crossover characters are mentioned between books, and Ellen Cherry Charles, the main character of Skinny Legs and All, has a cameo in the earlier Jitterbug Perfume.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Lampshaded in Still Life with Woodpecker
- Zip Me Up: Jitterbug Perfume