Raphael Matthew Bob-Waksberg (born August 17, 1984) is an American comedian, writer, producer, actor and voice actor best known as the creator and showrunner of the Netflix original animated series, BoJack Horseman.
Bob-Waksberg also performs voices for various characters on the show, including a corgi and a tree frog. As a member of the Olde English comedy troupe he co-wrote and appeared in The Exquisite Corpse Project. He is also the script doctor of The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part. Bob-Waksberg is a graduate of Bard College.
In March of 2018, it was announced that Bob-Waksberg has signed a deal with Amazon to produce a new animated tv series he has supposedly co-created with Kate Purdy. The new series is an animated comedy-drama entitled Undone. Reports state that the series revolves around a woman named Alma who discovers a "new relationship with time" after a near-fatal car crash and uses this to learn more about the truth behind her father's death. Aside from showrunning his two shows, he is also an executive producer on BoJack alumna Lisa Hanawalt's show, Tuca & Bertie.
Tropes Associated with Bob-Waksberg's work
- Art Evolution: His first series, BoJack Horseman is designed by Lisa Hanawalt where the characters are either human or humanized anthropromorphic animals. The style of his new upcoming series, Undone, will be designed by Hisko Hulsing, the artist behind the Richard Linklater films Waking Life and A Scanner Darkly.
- Central Theme: Both BoJack Horseman and Undone seem to be about time and the human experience.
- Grey-and-Gray Morality: Bob-Waksberg believes what makes something realistic, relatable, and powerful is mixing elements of the good and the bad, the funny and the sad.
- Signature Style: His shows are both animated "dramedys" that mix something silly with something empowering, depressing, and profound.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: His series, BoJack Horseman, originally went down the cynical end in its first three seasons, but it established itself as a cynically optimistic series by season 4.