Pro Wrestling Guerilla (PWG) is a Professional Wrestling
federation based in and around Los Angeles
, California. If CHIKARA
is TV-Y7, and WWE
is TV-PG, PWG at some point in each show will hit TV-MA.
Established back in 2003, the company was founded by six wrestlers from California. As of 2010, it's still run by six wrestlers based in California (though not the same six).
Their main titles are the PWG World Heavyweight Title
, and the PWG World Tag Team Titles
. As of December 1, 2012, their World Champion is Adam Cole, and, as of January 12, 2013, their Tag Champions are the Young Bucks, Matt and Nick Jackson.
Since this is a wrestling federation, there are a buttload of pro wrestling tropes that have been called upon. It would be remiss to not point out, however, that the majority of the matches they put on are governed by Rule of Cool
Tropes Associated with Pro Wrestling Guerilla:
- Crossover: On October 28, 2007, they held PWG/wXw European Vacation II: Germany, a cross-promotional event with Westside Xtreme Wrestling at the Musikpalette in Essen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. They were also one of the hapless organizations to be invaded by Age Of The Fall, which started in Ring of Honor. They used to have a working relationship with TNA too, but that went sour over some issue with Highspots.com.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Check out the logo.
- Loser Leaves Town: Kevin Steed just barely avoided being deported back to CZW
- Shout-Out: Several to Kurt Russell. On January 24 and 25, 2004, they held the Tango & Cash Invitational, a tournament to crown the inaugural PWG World Tag Team Champions. Starting in 2011, one of their annual events is titled Kurt Russellreunion.
- To Back to the Future as well. The March 7, 2004 show was 88 Miles Per Hour! and the May 20, 2006 show was Enchantment Under The Sea
- The February 24, 2007 show was titled Holy Diver Down, combining Ronnie James Dio and Van Halen.
- Tournament Arc: Battle of Los Angeles and DDT4 (short for Dynamite Duumvirate Tag Team Title Tournament) are two of their biggest events of the year.