Western Animation: Nightmare Ned
Yet another animated series from Disney, premiering on April 19, 1997. Ned Needlemeyer is a nervous 8 year old with several intense fears, which play themselves out in exaggerated fashions in his dreams. Each episode is basically one long Nightmare Sequence of Ned facing a different fear. The show lasted for 25 episodes.
This TV show contained examples of the following tropes:
- All Just a Dream: Nearly ever episode...except "Abduction"
- Baleful Polymorph: Ned is often turned into something against his will.
- Chess with Death: One sequence has Ned playing checkers with the Tooth Fairy over his teeth.
- Defanged Horrors: The nightmares Ned comes across...for the most part.
- Demoted to Extra: Ned's family and classmates from the TV show to the game.
- Downer Ending: In the show, all the nightmares of course end this way.
- Of course, Ned wakes up.
- George Washington: Or at least, a talking version of him on a quarter in one episode.
- Homage: The Willie Trout episode was a play on Pinocchio, with Geppetto himself, and Cicero as Figaro.
- Mutagenic Food: Ned is tricked into eating dog food by Conrad and Vernon in one episode, and naturally winds up dreaming that he's transformed into a dog. He gets his revenge on the bullies (in the dream, anyway) by tricking them into eating cat food, then chasing them down when they turn into cats.
- Nightmare Sequence: The entire premise.
- "Not Wearing Pants" Dream: One episode's nightmare is about Ned forgetting to put his clothes on and arriving to school wearing nothing but a raincoat, which he's forced to abandon before class. The episode's end has the same nightmare happen to his father.
- Potty Emergency: In an episode where two tall girls keep Ned as a pet and force feed him water.
- Talking to Herself: Kath Soucie in one episode.
- Twist Ending: Headless Lester: Ned isn't the one with nightmares this time around.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Conrad and Vernon, who were not named at all until one of the last episodes.
- World of Symbolism: Every one of Ned's nightmare worlds.