Webcomic / My Life In Blue
My Life In Blue
is a high school comedy/dramedy
written and illustrated by Zan Gullo. It centers around gay teenager Aleksander "Alex" Charbonneau adjusting to his new high school, along with his circle of artistically-inclined
The sequel My Life In Blue 2.0
focuses on his friend Marius' college life in London with indie rocker iddy pop
and his biggest fan James
This comic contains examples of:
- Continuity Nod: While Alex and Simon haven't appeared (yet, at least) in My Life In Blue 2.0, Marius has a picture of them on his wall.
- The Cutie: Portia.
- Deadpan Snarker: Marius.
- Distinction Without a Difference: "I'm not queer, I'm inverted, thou lie-breeding swine."
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Most of the male characters look rather androgynous, which is lampshaded.
- Easy Sex Change: Completely averted with Marius.
- Erotic Eating: "On my planet, we don't have gag reflexes."
- Everyone Is Bi: Lampshaded by Marius in one strip, noting that he seems to be the only straight person at the prom, which is made funnier by the fact that he kissed Alex earlier that night.
- Fun T-Shirt: "I want Joey Ramone's dick up my ass."
- Fag Hag: Alison.
- Fake Band: Cortlandt Manor Band, and of course, iddy pop.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: iddy pop's Multicolored Hair.
- The Glomp: Simon is very physically affectionate, expecially with Alex.
- Gorgeous Period Dress: Used in the school's production of Titus Andronicus.
- Perky Goth: Marius, Mordred, and Sarah.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Portia is very fond of these, to the point of doing household chores in them.
- Real Women Don't Wear Dresses: Vivian is uncomfortable with her attraction to the much girlier Portia because she sees her as "unliberated." Ironically, she was completely comfortable with Portia's hyperfemininity until she realized that she was female, initially mistaking her for a "very small Drag Queen."
- Refuge in Audacity: None of Ardsley's bandmates when he tells them about the underwear roller derby.
- Reincarnation: Alex and Alison have been friends for multiple incarnations.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders:
- Simon towards Marius, Johnny Depp, and Alex.
- Elsewhere, Alex admits that Lara Croft "has a certain... pixelated foxiness".
- Marius often causes this in lesbians, much to his chagrin, while Alex gets the same reaction out of him on at least one occasion.