A flamboyant character who lives for acting, singing, or performing in general. They love the spotlight, have memorized every line from their favorite musicals, took modern dance or ballet at some point, and are constantly trying to break into theater. The female variety is invariably straight, but unlike the male version, stands a good chance of also being a Soap Box Sadie. The association of live performance with Camp Gay is well enough known that the expression "he's into musical theater" is a well-known euphemism for being "gay". Compare the Distaff Counterpart, Lesbian Jock, where "she's into soccer/tennis" is a well-known euphemism for being "lesbian".
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- Nathan from Blood+ lives for the stage and is the producer/manager/whatever of Diva's musical debut. Of course, the performance he most wants to direct and present to an adoring audience is Saya's death at Diva's hands. God help you if you try to screw it up by doing something silly like killing Saya before he sets the perfect stage for her and Diva. Lights, camera, action!
- Tomo from Fushigi Yuugi. Justified, as he was raised by a troupe of performers.
- The entire cast male of the movie Camp, aside from Valentine.
- The Producers had a whole crew of these, led by Roger DeBris.
- Ryan Evans from the High School Musical movies has stared with his sister in all the school musicals before the first movie. He's not meant to be gay in the films.
- Tiny Cooper in Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. Even to the point where one of the book's major subplots is the direction/casting of the musical he wrote about himself.
- Annie in Annie on My Mind is a rare female version of this trope, being a keen and talented singer with a passion for the dramatic.
- Jack ("Just Jack!( of Will and Grace. He does a lot of one man shows because - at least early in the series - he's pretty much unemployable as an actor.
- Kurt from Glee.
- Blaine, too.
- Maxxie from Skins
- Cam from Modern Family, to some extent.
- In Degrassi When Marco and Ellie have to film a commercial for their product advertisement he plans a bright, Bollywood-inspired version. She's the director and he's the actor. She rags on his version, calling it "flaming." He also loves pop music, and fashion.
- JJ Caucus from Doonesbury tries to work every aspect of her life into performance and video pieces, which may have contributed to her divorce from Mike.
- Sander Cohen from BioShock can be triangulated at the center of Performance Artist, Mad Artist, and Depraved Homosexual.
- Apollo from O Cast. He is the god of music and poetry, after all.
- Almost the entire cast of My Life In Blue.
- Dillon from Ménage à 3 and its spin-off, Sticky Dilly Buns.
- Mr. Fleur from Cow and Chicken.
- Bruce from Family Guy.
- Dougs sister Judy.
- The lisp-spouting, male actor worshiping, drama teacher Mr. Bickles on The Fairly Oddparents.
- Squidward from Spongebob Squarepants. Granted he's pretty straight, but he is on Spongebob Squarepants.
- The fusion gem Sardonyx (Garnet and Pearl) has this vibes in Steven Universe. She's big, she's boisterous, and she loves to show off her talents.