A flamboyant character
who lives for acting, singing, or performing in general. They love the spotlight, have memorized every line from their favorite musicals, took modern dance or ballet at some point, and are constantly trying to break into theater. The female variety is invariably straight, but unlike the male version, stands a good chance of also being a Soap Box Sadie
The association of live performance with Camp Gay
is well enough known that the expression "he's into musical theater" is a well-known euphemism for being "gay".
Compare the Distaff Counterpart
, Lesbian Jock
, where "she's into soccer/tennis" is a well-known euphemism for being "lesbian".
Anime and Manga
- The entire cast male of the movie Camp, aside from Valentine.
- The Producers had a whole crew of these, led by Roger DeBris.
- Ryan Evans from the High School Musical movies has stared with his sister in all the school musicals before the first movie. He's not meant to be gay in the films.
- Tiny Cooper in Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. Even to the point where one of the book's major subplots is the direction/casting of the musical he wrote about himself.
- Annie in Annie on My Mind is a rare female version of this trope, being a keen and talented singer with a passion for the dramatic.
- Jack of Will and Grace.
- Kurt from Glee.
- Maxxie from Skins
- Cam from Modern Family, to some extent.
- In Degrassi When Marco and Ellie have to film a commercial for their product advertisement he plans a bright, Bollywood-inspired version. She's the director and he's the actor. She rags on his version, calling it "flaming." He also loves pop music, and fashion.
- Apollo from O Cast. He is the god of music and poetry, after all.