Web Animation: Link And The Hyrule Gang
Link and the Hyrule Gang
is a series of YouTube Poop
videos created by MechaWeegee91 focusing on The Legend of Zelda CDi Games
, notable for their use of Manipulative Editing
to give the characters complete scripted lines, giving the normally-tired characters
a fresh feel. There are thirteen videos total, the first of which can be seen here
This series contains examples of:
- Animated Actors: In Episode 5, Gwonam dreams about a recreation of the original cutscene, with the wrong characters playing the roles.
- Berserk Button: Harkinian hates when Link says "Gee, it sure is boring around here".
- Big Bad: Parodied with Mario Head in Episode 8. Apparently, he's a serious enough threat to make King Harkinian scramble for his dinner blaster.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: The King's List Song contains a few.
"Unmatched socks and dodongos, saying 'Mah Boi
' and banging hoes..."
- Brick Joke: Several.
- Earlier on, Gwonam is ringing a bell in the background to Harkinian's annoyance. He does it again in Episode 9... in the bathtub.
- Episode 7 has Harkinian informing Link about stacks of money inexplicably in the fridge. Cue Episode 12, where he's tricked into taking the cinnamon challenge and is desperately trying to find cold water...
- Within Episode 12, Harkinian is irritated by Gwonam's fake Previously On speech and tells him that he'll kick his ass after the show. Then, at the end:
Gwonam: Kick time?
King Harkinian: Kick time! Ho-ho!
- Comically Missing the Point: Link does this a lot.
- Cool Teacher: Or... principal, rather, in Frollo.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Harkinian and Link.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Link delivers one after being denied pizza due to not having any money.
Link: Fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck.
- Creepy Child: Link, at times.
"Why can't I just stay here and play with needles like every other normal kid?"
- Dance Party Ending: Parodied in Episode 2 when Link pulls out his iPod.
Operator: 911, emergency?
- Deadly Road Trip: Ganon's resort in Episode 10 turns out to be one.
- Dude, Not Funny!:
- in-universe example in Episode 5, when Gwonam overhears Harkinian on the phone to Dr. Mario about Link.
Gwonam: Ooh, did he die yet?
King Harkinian: So not funny, it's sad!
Gwonam: Ah, fuck you, Harkinian! You're not fun.
- In Episode 10, Gwonam and King Harkinian fake their deaths. Zelda is not amused.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The first half of the series tends to be more traditional... in the YTP sense, at least.
- Evil Teacher: Michael Rosen.
- Faux Affably Evil: Michael Rosen is rude to his students, has downright tyrannical classroom rules, kills students for no apparent reason...but who can deny his humor and his enthusiasm for the career field he works in?
- Flat "What.":
Gwonam: Do you know why we're in a field today, Friend Harkinian?
King Harkinian: Hmmm... No. I wonder...
Gwonam: I'm going to torch your face.
King Harkinian: What?- OH! MY FACE! MY FACE IS ON FIRE!
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Even if Link could read, his cookbook probably wouldn't have helped much.
- Rosen's classroom rules... fit his portrayal.
- Gainax Ending: Episode 11.
- Halfway Plot Switch: Episode 3 cuts to a Spongebob Squarepants poop partway through, and then back.
- Heel-Face Turn: Gwonam, in a Flashback in Episode 5. He wasn't villanous, per say, but his attitude about Link sure changed.
- Instant Humiliation: Just Add YouTube!: Happens to poor Harkinian twice. Episode 9 has his face torched by Gwonam on camera, and episode 12 has him tricked into taking the cinnamon challenge. The latter spreads enough to give the poor king a 0% Approval Rating.
- Jerk Ass: It would be easier to list who isn't a Jerkass. Even characters like Link dip into this territory at times.
- Jerkass Realization: Gwonam has one in Episode 5 when it's revealed that Link is mentally ill, after the former cracked a joke asking if Link died yet.
"Oh my...I feel so awful."
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: King Harkinian, particularly in Episode 12.
- Left the Background Music On: In Episode 8, when a sad melody plays as Harkinian explains how scared he was of Mario Head.
King Harkinian: Who's playing that shit?
as the screen cuts to Gwonam with a record player*
- List Song: The king sings an epic one in Episode 6 about things he likes, much to Gwonam's dismay.
- Man Child: Link.
- My Name Is Not Durwood:
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: "My squada-senses are tingling. What up?"
- Mythology Gag: The series is rife with jokes about characters' meme-induced traits, even with specific references to other poops.
- Naked People Are Funny: The king has his bath interrupted in Episode 9 by Gwonam... who's also taking a bath.
- No, Except Yes:
Link: I gave up on your royal ass years ago.
Link: I still love you, though.
- No Fourth Wall: Often, the characters manually provide scene transitions, speak directly to the audience, and whatnot.
- Noodle Incident: "The spaghetti/toaster thing" is set up as this in Episode 10, but in Episode 11, we DO actually get to see Link putting spaghetti in a toaster.
- Once an Episode: At the end of each installment starting with Episode 2, the characters join in with King Harkinian's memetic laughter, affectionately referred to as OAH-ing.
- Only Sane Man: Gwonam and Harkinian, on a good day, regularly trade this role. For the most part, this role is left to Zelda.
- Palette Swap: "Mary-o", The Bully of Episode 12.
- Parody Commercial: For Linky-O's in Episode 9. After all, Linky-O's are filled with great stuff like vitamins and shit.
- Previously On: Played straight in Episode 8, and parodied brilliantly in Episode 12 Part 2.
- Rant Inducing Slight: From Episode 2.
King Harkinian: Enough! I'm going to go crazy if you don't stop saying that evil phrase at the start of each poop!
Link: Gee, it sure is b-
King Harkinian: UGH!
- Reading the Stage Directions Out Loud:
King Harkinian (looking over a script): Hmmm... "gay-nun".
- Running Gag: Gwonam's Koridian lingo. The others eventually can't take it any moreidai.
- Schmuck Bait: A case of ground cinnamon just happened to be laying on the food-loving king's table.
- Self-Deprecating Humor:
Zelda: You know this episode of Link and the Hyrule Gang sucks monkey fuck, right?
- Show Within a Show: Harkinian's own Youtube Poops in Episode 7.
- Squick: In-universe. Characters tend to not react well when the series displays Toilet Humor.
Gwonam: Ew. What in the holy mother of fuck is wrong with you?
- Stylistic Suck: The king's first Youtube Poop in Episode 7. The others don't take it well.
- Link later makes one in Episode 10.
- Take That: Several examples; against Rebecca Black in Episode 2 and the CD-i in general in Episode 7.
Morshu: CD-i, Zelda, Mario. You want it? It's yours, my friend, as long as you have enough stupid.
- Link even pulls one against other Youtube Poops in episode 10; one of the reasons he likes being alone is "no generic sex jokes".
- Tempting Fate:
Gwonam: Agh! I done scrubbed the flooridais. What you gonna do, dirty them up again?
*Cue sounds of a dump truck pulling up and dumping its load.*
Gwonam: Ah, fuck...
- Toilet Humor: Usually averted. When it isn't, characters call each other out on it.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: At the beginning of Episode 12 we learn that Impa's in the hospital. It's never revealed at the end what it was for.
- 0% Approval Rating: The king's subjects aren't happy when he's tricked into taking the cinnamon challenge on camera.