Relic Of War
is a Real time strategy flash game from Toge Productions, the creators of the Infectonator
series. Originally released as Reich of Darkness
, the game was later removed from Armor Games after someone complained the game was Pro-Nazi to the point the creators got a letter from The Anti-Defamation League
despite the fact the word "Nazi" and "Hitler" never appears in the game
. Reich of Darkness can still be played here
Set in Alternate History
World War 2, the players take control of either the Axis or Allies after a secret SS division discovers an ancient artifact that allows them to create super weapons.
The game can be played here
- Action Girl: Lt. Helga Frauscharf.
- Awesome yet Practical: Green Berets / Uber-soldats. Ranged infantry with lots of HP and damage that only cost a little more than a normal squad, and take up just as much time to build and food cap. Especially compared with the mechs, which build slower and cost more.
- Bilingual Bonus: What the Axis units say, if you speak German (though it's pretty easy to understand).
- Brits with Battleships
- Colonel Badass: Col. Price Sterling.
- Came Back Wrong: After Genzken absorbs the power of the Relic portal, his appearance looks like the Red Skull. He doesn't make a big deal about it since he's now powerful.
- Cosmetically Different Sides: Nearly every unit has an equivalent with the same stats.
- Diesel Punk: Largely of the Weird War strain. The mechs are a good example of this.
- Enemy Chatter: Units will say lines in speech balloons usually about killing the enemy.
- Establishing Character Moment: Hanz Genzken first appearance has him ordering enemy prisoners tortured for information before killing them with delight. This will give you an idea how evil he is.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: The Axis has a cyborg gorilla as its melee unit.
- Expy: General Arthur MacDouglas is an expy of General Douglas MacArthur.
- Heichler is... yeah.
- After absorbing the power of the Relic from the portal, Genzken now looks like the Red Skull.
- Gatling Good
- Gas Mask Mooks
- Genki Girl: Jeanice.
- Glass Cannon: Snipers.
- Heel-Face Turn: Helga becomes a mole for the Allies after Genzken killed her Commander and later defects after her betrayal is discovered.
- Invaded States of America: The Allied campaign focuses on the Allies fighting back the Axis after they successfully invaded the American East Coast.
- La Résistance: The French Resistance aids the Allies during the Axis campaign in France.
- Mission Control: Lt. Helga Frauscharf to the Axis Commander and Lt. Abigail Steamfox to the Allied Commander.
- Nazis with Gnarly Weapons
- Non-Entity General: Lampshaded by Genzken, who notes that you casually send troops to their deaths as if you were looking at them through a window from another world.
- Not So Different: By the end of the Allied Campaign, both Helga and Abigail discover that General MacDouglas is not so different from Genzken who, rather than destroy the Relic Portal, he wants to use its power to attack the Japanese, the Soviets and rule the world for America.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Hanz "The Hellspawn" Genzken, in charge of the SS Paranormal Division.
- No Swastikas: The Axis uses three lines instead.
- Mad Scientist
- Shout-Out: The Elite Axis troops resemble the Kerberos unit.
- An elite Allied soldier named Ramboo.
- Super Soldier: Literally, with the Uber-soldat (several corpses stitched together, reanimated and given a minigun).
- Stupid Jetpack Hitler: Most of the weapons both sides uses are ahead of their time.
- Top-Heavy Guy: The PaletteSwaps of the large soldier has arms half as thick as his chest, and has legs like toothpicks.
- Yanks with Tanks
- Weak Turret Gun
- Wrench Wench: Jeanice. Her portrait has her literally holding onto a wrench.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: MacDouglas reveals himself to be this in the Allied campaign finale.