Video Game: Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D is the first Resident Evil game for the Nintendo 3DS, released in 2011. It is an expanded version of "The Mercenaries" minigame previously featured in Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5 spun-off into a full game, which eschews the plot-based nature of the main campaigns in favor of an arcade-style design.The objective is to simply kill as many enemies as possible in each stage under the time limit without getting killed. The player must grab time extensions to remain on the stage as long as possible and kill many enemies in a row in order to achieve a big score. The stages and enemies in this version are from both, RE4 and RE5. Improvements to the "Mercenaries" formula includes an online co-op mode and a "skills" system that allows the player to customize his or her character's abilities. The playable character roster consists of Chris and Claire Redfield, HUNK, Jack Krauser, Jill Valentine, Barry Burton, Rebecca Chambers and Albert Wesker.The game's engine would be used for the next 3DS game in the series, Resident Evil: Revelations.
This game provides examples of:
- Awesome but Impractical: Wesker's dash, much like in RE5. It looks pretty cool and you can fire off a Knee Cannon that can do some big damage on some, but its hard to get a good hit with it, and it takes some health off, especially with Uroboros Wesker's pitiful health recovery rate.
- Chris's neck breaker might be an instant kill that negates plaga spawns, but the animation is so long that you're better off not using it.
- Boring but Practical: Chris' loadout's sniper rifle isn't any bit special looking and is more or less a standard bolt-action rifle but considering it can take down most enemies quickly, including some of the big enemies like a Garrador, there's no reason to forget about it.
- Capcom Sequel Stagnation: An obviously non-canon portable remake of a minigame.
- Co-Op Multiplayer: One of the big additions.
- Cool Mask: A rare justified case with HUNK given his career.
- Cut-and-Paste Environments: Enjoy the Public Assembly arena? That's good, because you'll be seeing an awful lot of it, along with a few other arenas that are repeated over and over. Extends to the characters as well. Claire's model, for example, is taken from the Code: Veronica portions of Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles.
- Elite Tweak: Rebecca's melee with level 3 thunder. While her melee is subpar compared to others, lacking range and raw damage, she does have 2 launching melee attacks. the first one is the head stun, which everybody has as a launcher but due to the fact you can position yourself where you want makes it useful, and the second one is the leg stun from behind, which is a grab and a launcher, thus prevent mutations while still launching what is basically a bomb. The front leg stunned also has a chance of activating the explosion where you stand, making it useful for a crowd surrounding you.
- Expy: HUNK of... Excella Gionne? Yes, actualy. Their loadouts are the same save for the pistol being a different model, and their movesets are actually pretty similar. Head is a high kick, HUNK with added knife, both arm attacks are quick but don't have much range, both leg moves are powerful grabs, with hunk having instant kills on both while excella just had one, and the ground melee are both multi hits. They're pretty much, melee and loadoutwise, the same mercenary.
- Gaiden Game: Hits all the criteria.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: You, with the grenade launchers. Its entirely possible to nail a precise, long range direct hit on any enemy with a grenade launcher. The added splash damage makes this all the more sweet. In fact, with the help of the laser sight, evena Magnum can be used to achieve this effect.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Marketing and the promo cite how you fight the war on horror.
- I Shall Taunt You: Press X to make your character trash your enemies verbally. Provides a power boost with the right skill equipped and nets you a Medal if you perform a total of 30 near an enemy but it doesn't help for Claire or HUNK since their taunt animations last long and you can't cancel them, leaving them open for attack.
- On another note, Chris, Wesker and Barry share the same taunt vocal ("Show yourself!") though with different voice actors. You can also hold the X button and press any direction on the D-Pad to give commands to your partner, or thank them if they heal you up. Yes, you can do this when you're alone, too.
- Mooks: Your objective is solely to kill these guys in uncomfortably large numbers.
- Faceless Goons: Los Illuminados Zealots from RE 4 have faces obscured by hoods.
- Gas Mask Mooks: One of the types included, though in a subversion you can play one of these characters. Not just in character design, but in the same role most of these guys occupy (see HUNK above)
- Heavily Armored Mook: The Base-type Majini have armour on random parts of their body meaning you'll have to really pick your targets. Cultists sometimes have skull helmets on but for them that's the extent of it.
- Slave Mooks: All the enemies are controlled by a parasite.
- The Power of Friendship: What else but the Friendship skill. It allows the both of you to regenerate health when in each other's vicinity. Leveled up fully, it makes surviving missions a lot easier.
- Rule of Cool: Was Jill in Spain or HUNK in Kijuju in the original minigame? No, but it doesn't stop it from being awesome.
- Scoring Points: The sole objective, you’ll cry when you’re done killing.
- Shock and Awe: Claire's Electric Grenade Launcher. Wide radius and can kill a Cephalos or Duvalia relatively easily.
- The Thunderbolt skill. Gives your melee attacks electrical properties. Level it up to the max and every knock-down melee attack will summon an additional lightning bolt that'll do major, if not fatal damage to the victim and any surrounding enemies nearby.
- Shout-Out: HUNK's "Mr. Death" alternate costume sure looks a lot like the Batman: Arkham Asylum rendition of The Scarecrow.
- Tech Demo Game: Mercenaries 3D was made to test out how a RE game engine could be made on the 3DS. The developers were satisfied with the results and Revelations was developed as a follow-up.
- Took a Level in Badass: Hunk's hidden arm and leg blades.
- Rebecca took ANOTHER one after the one she took in Mercs Reunion by bringing a Grenade Launcher and the game's strongest Deathblow melee. With the right setup, little Becky can utterly dominate every single boss in the game.
Alternative Title(s):Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3 D, Resident Evil Mercenaries 3 D
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles Franchise/Resident Evil Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City