A game developed by Pangea Software
, published in 1995 by MacPlay, and bundled with Apple Macintosh
The game takes place in a toy store. The Fuzzy Bunnies have escaped, and only Power Pete, the store's best-selling action figure, can rescue them from danger. All of the game action is viewed from above.
Pete's default weapon is a gun that shoots suction cup darts, but he can get more powerful weapons in the game, as well as powerups such as super speed and temporary invulnerability. He can also collect the jawbreakers that appear when enemy toys are destroyed.
The game consists of 15 levels in five departments: Prehistoric Plaza, Candy Cane Lane, Fairy Tale Trail, Magic Funhouse and Bargain Bin. Since Pangea Software reacquired the rights to the game in 2001, Power Pete
has been ported to Mac OS 9 and the Classic mode of Mac OS
X as the shareware Mighty Mike
. If you have an emulator such as SheepShaver, you can play Mighty Mike
on an Intel-based Mac.
This game provides examples of:
- 3/4 View
- Abnormal Ammo: Suction cups, gumballs, rubber bands, toothpaste, exploding birthday cakes, pies, magic dirt... and that's just a few examples.
- Action-Figure-Eating-Plant: In Prehistoric Plaza. Touching them causes pain; they also shoot stuff at you.
- All Cavemen Were Neanderthals: Nongo the Neanderthal. Comes in two varieties, one of which is Bad with the Bone and the other which rolls stone wheels at you.
- Big Fancy Castle: In all three levels of Fairy Tale Trail.
- Bunnies for Cuteness: The Fuzzy Bunnies.
- Clown Car: In the Magic Funhouse.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Well, ALMOST everything.
- Flying Saucer: These pop up in the Bargain Bin. You can fly them for a short while (and kill pretty much anything you run into), but only once per saucer.
- Frogs and Toads: If a witch flies over you in the Fairy Tale Trail, you turn into a frog for a time, robbing you of access to your weapons. If you can avoid her long enough, you'll turn back. If she runs over you a second time, you also return to normal, but minus a health point.
- Gotta Catch Them All: To complete a level, Pete must rescue all of the bunnies.
- Hair-Raising Hare: Chocolate bunnies in Candy Cane Lane; Fluffy Bunnies in the Magic Funhouse.
- Lantern Jaw of Justice
- Lawyer-Friendly Cameo: Hopping Henry, a pudgy purple dinosaur enemy in Prehistoric Plaza, suspiciously resembles a popular children's TV character. Word of God says the resemblance is coincidental.
- Lethal Lava Land: More like tar pits, which cause instant death.
- Level Ate: Candy Cane Lane is a sweets-themed department.
- Monster Clown: One of the enemies in the Magic Funhouse.
- Prehistoria: Prehistoric Plaza.
- Sliding Scale of Living Toys: Level 4 on the scale, presumably.
- Stock Dinosaurs: Radical Rex and Triceratops Tom.
- The Big Bad Wolf: Appears in the Fairy Tale Trail. Naturally.
- Third-Person Shooter
- Toy Time: The entire game, but most evident in the "Bargain Bin" levels,
- Turtle Power: Wind-up turtles in Prehistoric Plaza. They just shove you out of the way without hurting you.