Video Game: Otto Matic
Otto Matic is a third-person shooter and platformer developed by Pangea Software for the Apple Macintosh released in 2001. It is an Affectionate Parody of the science fiction B-movies of the 1950's.In the year 1957, an alien race known as Brain Aliens have come to Earth from their home world Planet X to abduct humans and use them as slaves for their master, the Giant Brain. Luckily for the humans, there exists a galactic police force known as the Otto Matics who send one of their own to put a stop to the Brain Aliens' plot.As Otto Matic, your task is to explore strange worlds to rescue human slaves and alienating any Brain Aliens and their allies that stand in your way. In the spirit of Pangea's previous success, Bugdom, you traverse through ten levels while battling enemies, collecting weopons and powerups, and rescuing innocent characters. but unlike Bugdom, you must hurry when rescuing humans, because alien saucers will try to abduct them. Points are awarded based on how many humans you rescue and how much inventory you have when you complete the level.
Otto Matic contains examples of:
- Affectionate Parody
- Blob Monster: The nose-shaped blobs on Planet Snoth.
- Bloodless Carnage: Lots of dead aliens, but no entrails are seen. Some will simply vanish in a green gassy explosion after you kill them.
- B-Movie: The game is a parody of the these.
- Check Point: Most levels will have radar dishes that you touch to activate as checkpoints.
- Crop Circles: At the end of the Earth level.
- Green Hill Zone: The first level, the Bently Farm on Earth, is essentially this.
- Elite Mook: The Elite Brain Aliens on Planet X that wear red suits rather than green ones. They are larger and more powerful than the regular brain aliens and never stop chasing you.
- Everything Trying to Kill You
- Final Boss: The Giant Brain
- Flying Saucer: The Brain aliens pilot these.
- You get to pilot one on Planet Shebenek.
- Hailfire Peaks: Planet Deniz is half Lethal Lava Land and half Slippy-Slidey Ice World.
- Insectoid Aliens: The giant praying mantises on Planet Sulak.
- Level in Boss Clothing: Level 3 is completed by destroying the Slime Machine in Planet Snoth's core.
- Mechanical Lifeforms: Otto Matic could be one of these, though whether or not he is sentient is never established since he's silent throughout the entire game. Same thing goes for the mutant robots on Planet Knarr.
- My Brain Is Big: The Brain Aliens' brains are their entire heads.
- Plant Aliens: The giant venus fly traps and pitcher plant boss on Planet Sulak.
- Also the mutant vegetables on the Bently Farm on Earth.
- Retro Rocket: Otto Matic's ship is this.
- Single-Biome Planet: With the exception of Earth, nearly all the planets play this very straight.
- Space Police: The Otto Matics are this.
- Tractor Beam: One sucks you back down to Planet Sulak on Level 7. You need to destroy the Pitcher Plant boss to deactivate it.