(known as Hell Night in Japan) is LightGun
arcade game released by Konami in 1998. This was another attempt of Konami making a survival horror-themed light gun shooter game at the arcades, after releasing Crypt Killer
, which was produced 3 years earlier. It can also be seen as a House of the Dead
spinoff, but with three players. In this game, the first and the thirdd player has a handgun which can have an enhanced round, while the second player has a shotgun which disperses rounds around the screen.
This game is extremely rare and is less commonly found anywhere. The last seen cabinet in an arcade in the Philippines has been removed since 2010. As of 2014, this is the only known playthrough on Youtube
provides the following tropes:
- Ancient Tomb: Resembles more of catacombs.
- Action Girl: Alicia Sevigny, the character of Player 2. She is armed with a shotgun.
- Big Damn Heroes: The main characters of the game are three cops, two males and one female, named from Player 1 to Player 3 as Henry Jones, Alicia Sevigny and Joe Hamilton. Their objective is to rescue a girl named Liv (see Damsel in Distress and Save the Princess) from a haunted house.
- Bottomless Magazines: As with all light gun games.
- Chekhov's Skill: In the end, Liv reads from the mystical book that puts all the undead and evil ones to rest.
- Creepy Cemetery: Seen in the intro and the last stage.
- Damsel in Distress: Liv. (See also: SaveThePrincess)
- Dem Bones: A skeleton zombie is one of the most common zombies encountered. However, see Narm below for more explanation.
- Guns are Worthless: Averted. See below.
- Immune to Bullets: Averted big time. Not only do bullets kill zombies, they kill ghosts too. Heck, bullets even harm the last boss despite its demonic appearance.
- Haunted Castle
- Haunted House: The big mansion the players enter.
- Light Gun Game
- The voice acting.
- The skeleton zombie does not look like a skeleton, but rather a man in skeleton costume as if celebrating the Mexican holiday of Day of the Dead.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Surprisingly, bullets affect ghosts in this game.
- Our Zombies Are Different: More like the House of the Dead type of zombies.
- Raising the Steaks: Bats, large rats, spiders, and cockroaches attack the player.
- Rail Shooter
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: A large snake appears twice and serves as a miniboss. In the underground level, crocodile-like monsters appear, as well as a crocodile-lizard like miniboss.
- Save the Princess: The main characters are looking for a girl named Liv.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: The 2nd player is armed with a shotgun. It has a better effect in dispatching enemies.
- Shout-Out: Several of them
- As stated above, the zombies resemble more of the House of the Dead type. In fact, some of the zombies resemble the House of the Dead zombies due to some wielding weapons such as axes, knives, claws, hatchets, scythes, chainsaws, and drills. Furthermore, the first form of the final boss resembles Magician from HOTD.
- A three-player co-op arcade game with a horror theme also made by Konami.
- Some zombies have claws for weapons.
- One of the bosses, who is a butcher, is armed with a chainsaw.
- The Grim Reaper: Resemblance only. One zombie, probably a gardener, with a hood has a mask covering it's face. It's main weapon is a scythe.
- The Renfield: There are two types of zombie butlers encountered: One with a knife and one holding a lantern and a cleaver.
- The Undead: Ghosts and zombies are mostly encountered.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle: One of the bosses taunts the characters they will never find Liv.