Video Game / Capcom Fighting Evolution
Capcom Fighting Evolution
(a.k.a. Capcom Fighting Jam
in Japan and Europe), released in 2004, is a Massively Multiplayer Crossover
between some of Capcom
's popular fighting game series, including Street Fighter II
, Street Fighter III
, Street Fighter Alpha
. Of special note is that this game represents the second chance North American players have had to play as characters from the arcade-only Red Earth
(Tessa the Witch was playable in Super Gem Fighter
is a standard one-on-one fighting game with a semi-tag function allowing players to change their current character after a round, with four characters each from their respective games, along with newcomer
Ingrid (who was to appear in a 3D fighting game called Capcom Fighting All-Stars
, which was eventually cancelled) and Final Boss
Pyron from Darkstalkers
. All characters fight using the rules from the games they came from - the Street Fighter II
characters use the single Super Move
meter from Super Street Fighter II
, the Darkstalkers
characters have the stacking Super Move meters, etc. Like most Capcom crossover games, there is no overarching storyline (although each character does have their own ending cutscene) - fight several opponents, then the final boss, and then watch the end credits.
- Representing Street Fighter II: Ryu, Guile, Zangief and M. Bison
- Representing Street Fighter III: Alex, Chun-Li, Urien, and Yun
- Representing Street Fighter Alpha: Rose, Sakura, Karin, and Guy
- Representing Darkstalkers: Demitri, Felicia, Anakaris, and Jedah
- Representing Red Earth: Leo, Hauzer, Hydron (Nool) and Kenji (Mukuro)
- Original character: Ingrid, sorta. she was meant to debut in the now-cancelled Capcom Fighting All-Stars.
- Bosses: Pyron and Shin Akuma
Tropes used in this game:
- All Just a Dream: Zangief's ending.
- The Cameo: Many Capcom classic characters appear in the game, in both the backgrounds and endings, such as:
- Jon Talbain in Ryu's ending.
- Mike Haggar in Alex's ending.
- Gill (who gets beaten down) Sagat, Vega, Balrog and the Bison dolls in M. Bison's ending.
- Morrigan in Demitri's ending.
- A lot of Capcom's girls in Felicia's ending.
- *breath* Ken, Dhalsim, Charlie, Dudley, Sean, Mai Ling, LeiLei, B.B.Hood, Rikuo and Victor in Pyron's ending.
- Dan (who gets beaten down) and Kei in Sakura's ending.
- Tessa, Blade and Mai Ling in Leo's ending.
- Dante in Jedah's ending.
- Yang in Yun's ending.
- Makoto in one of the backgrounds.
- Lazy Artist: The Darkstalkers characters, sans Demitri, are STILL using their 1994 sprites.
- Not to mention the low-res backgrounds with very little animation.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover
- No Plot? No Problem!
- Shout-Out: Rose's ending has her imprisoning Pyron in a card, pretty much like Sakura (well, not the Street Fighter by that name, though).
- Ryu's Midnight Bliss is the little Indian girl with the milk jug he bumped into in the SF 2 anime movie.
- The Worf Effect: Gill gets beaten down in M. Bison's ending.