We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Video Game: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds
is a 2005 PS2
game published by Electronic Arts
. Not a sequel as such to the first game
on XBOX but it plays the same. Set during the fifth season, the player is tasked with fighting as Buffy, Xander, Willow, Spike
and Sid the Dummy
through Sunnydale and beyond.
When the vampire Kakistos; last seen after Faith, seems to be Back from the Dead
the Scoobies go to investigate. It turns out that Ethan Rayne has made a deal with The First Evil, where the Scoobies are transported to an Alternate Dimension
to fight The First's champions. If he wins, Ethan will be made a full Chaos Demon. The Scoobies must find a way to stop them both and return home.
Tropes associated with Chaos Bleeds
- Abandoned Hospital: One of the levels takes place in one.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Finding items will yield several different comments from each character. Faith is kind enough to share what she does with stakes when not out slaying.
- Alternate Universe: The setting for the second half of the game. Think the Wishverse.
- And Now for Someone Completely Different: You'll switch between the various charcters several times over the course of the game, but you'll still be playing as Buffy more than anyone else.
- Back from the Dead: The First brings Kakistos and Adam as two of his champions. Perhaps the reason it couldn't use Glory was because she was a god.
- On the good guys' end Sid the Dummy had apparently passed on to the "proverbial better place" after killing the demons who'd cursed him, but he's back on Earth and still a wooden dummy in this game. It's revealed during the course of the story that this is The First's doing.
- Badass Normal: Xander is similar to Buffy and Faith (Slayers) and Spike (vampire) in terms of strength and fighting prowess.
- Big Bad: The First
- Biting-the-Hand Humor: When visiting Sunnydale's cinema there's a poster for Alien: Resurrection, a film written by Joss Whedon of which he hates (because the production team "did everything wrong that they could possibly do").
- Bond One-Liner: Most deaths will yield this, with each character having quite a number of quips upon dusting a vampire. The surprise here is Faith, several of her quotes portray her as quite a learned Cultured Badass.
- Borrowed Biometric Bypass: Buffy and Spike respectively use a severed hand and a severed head to get past a palm scanner and a retinal scanner.
- Borrowed Catchphrase: The first level of alternate Sunnydale has Buffy looking for her allies. Faith is locked in a bank vault and will use Willow's 'bored now' to signify that she wants Buffy to break her out.
- Boss Banter: Every boss (except for Adam) has a few lines of dialogue that they repeat ad nauseum.
- Call Back: One of the first levels is in a graveyard, where Buffy is freaked upon learning of a spell that will resurrect her mother.
- An episode of the show had Willow and Tara trying to craft a Sun spell. In this game, it's one of the spells in Willow's repetoire.
- The Bakemono first appeared in the Buffy comic book "The Latest Craze."
- Creator Cameo: In multiplayer Joss Whedon is one of the unlockable characters.
- Demoted to Extra: Remember those spiders from the first game? They only make one appearance in Xander's level and took a major dose of Spikeification.
- Dismantled MacGuffin: Cassandra Rayne, an immortal warrior for the Powers That Be. As The First could not truly kill her, he instead had her ripped to pieces and scattered about. The majority of the game involves the heroes searching for her various parts.
- Drop the Hammer: One of the weapons only available to Sid.
Sid: "Somebody's gonna get nailed. And I don't mean in a good way."
- Elite Mooks: Vampires, surprisingly, are some of the toughest enemies in the game, especially given some of the different attacks they use.
- Escort Mission: Buffy leading a wounded Giles out of The Magic Box.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: You get to fight zombie penguins.
- Even the Guys Want Him: A lot of the vampires in the Highschool level say very suggestive things to Xander, especially the male vamps.
- Evil Twin: Anya becomes a vengeance demon to fight Xander, Tara is made into a vampire (recalling the prequel comic) to fight Willow and Buffy fights Giles' younger self, Ripper.
- Final Death: Both the characters and enemies have a health bar, but they do not die when it runs out. They die when they are bitten, staked, stabbed, beheaded, etc.
- Get Back Here Boss: Ripper isn't all that interested in going toe to toe with Buffy, and will instead spend most of the battle running away.
- Gargle Blaster: Faith, being Faith, ponders whether hellfire vials come in six packs.
- Giant Spider: The previous game had these scattered about, and they make a cameo appearance here. The dog sized versions here are the smaller breed, with the larger ones not shown bigger than Buffy.
- Glass Cannon: Willow. She lacks martial arts skills or even any kicking moves leaving her as the worst fighter in the game. She makes up for it with her spells which cause massive damage and several can kill enemies in one hit.
- Guide Dang It: Have fun playing the game without a walkthrough.
- Hair-Raising Hare: Playing on her well-known fear of them, Bunnies are integral to defeating Anyanka.
- He Knows About Timed Hits: The game begins with an attack on The Magic Shop when Giles instructs Buffy what to do. Same for Tara with Willow. Subverted with Spike, who is mocked by Buffy, and averted with Xander and Faith who plays the same.
- Hilarity In Zoos: The zoo level.
- Hospital Hottie: Discussed by Xander and Willow when he finds a first-aid kit.
Xander: "Time to go find Anya and play naughty nurse."
Willow: "Ooh, now I can be Nurse Willow! Tara's gonna love this..."
- I'm Cold... So Cold...: The first thing Cassandra Rayne does after being reassembled is ask "Why am I so cold?"
- Infinity+1 Sword: Hope's Dagger, a blade forged from the first ray of light to shine upon the Earth.
- Interface Screw: The "Controller Confusion" pick-up in multiplayer.
- Killer Gorilla: The zombie gorillas in the Zoo level.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: The characters engage in this from time to time.
Xander: (upon finding an item) "It's like a friggin' video game!"
- Meat Puppet: The First possesses Ethan Rayne in order to confront Buffy as the Final Boss.
- Our Gargoyles Rock: A couple of gargyoles are fought early on in the game. They're immune to all normal forms of damage, forcing Buffy to acquire some Gorgon venom in order to return them to their stone state.
- Product Placement: The films on the posters in the movie theater, instead of made-up films, are all actual Twentieth Century Fox motion pictures, such as Alien, Titan A.E., Fight Club, and The Fly.
- Raising the Steaks: With one of the levels in a zoo, but of course.
- Rewarding Vandalism: Items can be found by breaking apart furniture or even headstones.
- Shout-Out: After taking control of Xander during the opening level, leaving him idle for long enough will trigger this.
Xander: "Okay, no telepathic prompts for you, X-Man."
- Shown Their Work: Not as much as the first game but the work...shows.
- Standard Status Effects: Some vampires have the thrall move of The Master and Drusilla, which acts as a stun move.
- Super Drowning Skills: Enforced, as the one level with water is an abandoned mine that Faith is trying to blow up to get to Kakistos.
- Take a Third Option: The contest was to pit Ethan's champions against the First's champions for the power to make Ethan a Chaos Lord. Buffy and co. decide that's not a workable option but since losing means death they decide to take out the First so nobody wins.
- This Is Gonna Suck: Xander in the first level when he find himself cornered by vampires.
Xander: "Oh... Monkey poop."
- The Other Darrin: Sarah Michelle Gellar, Emma Caulfield and Alyson Hannigan were not part of the game, so Giselle Loren plays Buffy (again)and Anya and Kari Wahlgren plays Willow.
- The Tooth Hurts: Anyanka threatens to do this to Xander.
Anyanka: "You have nice teeth. They'll make a fine necklace!"
- Weak, but Skilled: Sid, being a wooden dummy, lacks the physical strength of the rest of the cast, but he makes up for it with a number of clever tactics.