- Ascended Fanon: For years, IMDB has listed Phelous's show as Phelous and the Movies, which he has been using jokingly in his references.... until his Lion and the King review where it's actually a thing now.
- Actor Allusion: In his (and Lupa's) review of (both) My Bloody Valentine and its remake, Phelous recaps the Supernatural episode of the same name. No points for guessing the joke.
Lupa: Heh, heh. Stupid Trash-tiel.
- Brief aside: said recap mentions that Sam and Dean brought Castiel out of the trash where they left him.
- Hey, It's That Guy!:
- Phelous will often note certain actor's notable roles (Ryder Strong is Friend-Meets-World, Linden Ashby is Johnny Cage) in his reviews.
- Taken to an extreme in his reviews for House of the Dead, House of the Dead II: Dead Aim, and Dead and Deader (which was originally planned to be a sequel to House of the Dead) which he reviews back-to-back-to-back. Ellie Cornell played a role in all three, and Phelous incredulously comes up with a theory as to why.
- Visitors of early Newgrounds might recognize his voice as the Fish in a Spaceship from Eskimo Bob (the Fish even makes a cameo in one review).
- Name's the Same: In his belated April Fool's Day episode of Army of Darkness, he jokes that the movie continues Ash's journey to become a Pokemon master.
- Old Shame: After leaving Channel Awesome, Phelous described To Boldly Flee as "The worst movie in the universe", claiming that the films attempts at being "serious" while also balancing the comedy didn't work well and criticizing its lifting of scenes wholesale from other movies. Phelous also claimed that some people on the site were gossiping about him "half assing" the effects that he was contracted to do for the film, and sent Welshy to spy on him to ensure that he was doing a good job (which Welshy ended up not doing due to being close friends with Phelous). His earlier commentary of the film consisted of himself, Obscurus Lupa and Brad Jones making fun of it.
- For April Fool's Day, Phelous did a review of his Mac and Me review. In it, he criticized himself for his poor delivery, bad jokes, and weak critiques.
- Talking to Himself: Taken to the point where he doesn't even really try to pretend he's playing two different characters, just two different Phelouses talking to each other. For example, he reveals at the end of Pulse 2 that he was really an "Internet TV Distortion Ghost" all along so he doesn't have to review Pulse 3. Another Phelous dressed as a Ghostbuster bursts into the room and zaps the ghost before taking over the review.
- Trolling Creator: Turned into this recently. The "Top 10 Phelous Moments of 2012" is essentially him praising the hell out of his controversial videos and mocking the ones that most people liked.
- What Could Have Been: In Dead and Deader, he wonders what it would have been like if he had decided to not review that stupid House of the Dead quasi-sequel at all. Cue a flash to alternate-reality Phelous with glowing red eyes shrieking he needs to review a bad movie or he'll kill everyone.