- Based on a Dream: Mr. Fingers, the creature in the Well of Darkness.
- Born Lucky: Meta example. In December 2017, the artist was hospitalized with a subarachnoid hemorrhage, a type of brain aneurysm with potentially very serious health implications. During an angioplasty to investigate this (which could have caused a stroke in it's own right) a second even more serious problem was discovered — a dural fistula which is a type of abnormal development of an artery in the brain that if undetected can spontaneously rupture with fatal results and if asymptomatic (as his was) can only be found with the aforementioned angioplasty — essentially a ticking time bomb in his brain. He then underwent a dangerous operation (that again could have caused a stroke) to repair the fistula. In the words of a friend he's made out of natural 20s — the initial problem didn't kill him or cause brain damage, he didn't suffer any complications from the investigation, the investigation found a second problem that could have killed him at any time and the operation to fix this was a complete success and again no complications resulted.
- Creator Breakdown: The author, Tarol Hunt, went through one around 2014, as he explained in this blog post..
- Fan Nickname: The various versions of Minmax, Kin and Forgath in the Maze of Many tend to get these, and there are a few others.
- Scorpikin (a Kin with a scorpion's lower body)
- Pipemax (a silent Minmax who constantly smokes a pipe, even in combat)
- Psimax (a Psion Minmax)
- Forghast (a Forgath with a Ring of Undeath that makes him hideous)
- Browgath (a Forgath who constantly shouts "BROW!" and nothing else)
- Evil Klik is also called Junior by the forumgoers, because it calls Dies-Horribly "Father".
- Follow the Leader: Goblins has spawned fan webcomics, notably the adventures of the Scroll Readers Goblin Tribe.
- Genius Bonus: Symun, the friendly giant spider, really likes Forgath.
Forgath: Ew ew ew! He's licking my face! Wait, do spiders even have tongues?
Onyx: No, they don't.
Forgath: Then what the hell is he licking me with?!
- Forgath would probably be happier not knowing that a spider's pedipalps are used for taste, smell, and insemination.
- I Knew It!: Show of hands everyone who foresaw Psionic Minmax using the machine to come back to life.
- Image Source:
- Official Fan-Submitted Content: The dead adventurers caught in the first trap of the dungeon crawl where Minmax and the goblins team up are D&D characters whose illustrations or descriptions were submitted by readers of the webcomic.
- Promoted Fanboy: Inverted. Thunt is a fan of Studio Foglio and as of 2017 he has hired their colorist, Cheyenne Wright.
- Reality Subtext: Spoilered for the sake of sensitive readers. This concerns Kin's Rape as Backstory. Really, only click through if you're sure you want to know. note
- Referenced by...: Tempts Fate makes a Cameo in a few strips of the webcomic Anti-Heroes.
- Schedule Slip:
- The strip regularly suffers from this due to the artist putting everything in great detail for each page and having slight breakdowns. It culminated in a large breakdown in 2014 that the author just overcame near the end of the year.
- Still Played Straight, though differently, since an update timer was introduced. Originally, an update was scheduled every four days, then it went to five days. Also, when it ticks down to update time, it will occasionally skip back several hours (or even a day) and resume the countdown from there before updating.
- The update timer is no longer there. Since the return of the comic in September 2014, the pace has slowed to around one new page a month.
- The creator's serious medical issue in December 2017 is also likely to have a deleterious effect on the comic's schedule.
- Series Hiatus: Tempts Fate was initially intended to have a new scenario roughly every month. But then Thunt tried to make a scenario that got too big for him to handle on time while still staying on schedule with the comic. After a while he then made a mini-scenario to keep people satisfied in the meantime, and even then that one got put on a hiatus too.
- Similarly Named Works: Not to be confused with the French comic book Goblin's (with an apostrophe). It is also about goblins, but here they are stupid comic reliefs and not heroes. (The page picture for Bullying a Dragon is from this comic.)