- Based on a Dream: Mr. Fingers, the creature in the Well of Darkness.
- Creator Breakdown: The author, Tarol Hunt, went through one around 2014, as he explained in this blog post..
- Fan Nickname: The various versions of Minmax, Kin and Forgath in the Maze of Many tend to get these, and there are a few others.
- Scorpikin (a Kin with a scorpion's lower body)
- Pipemax (a silent Minmax who constantly smokes a pipe, even in combat)
- Psimax (a Psion Minmax)
- Forghast (a Forgath with a Ring of Undeath that makes him hideous)
- Browgath (a Forgath who constantly shouts "BROW!" and nothing else)
- Evil Klik is also called Junior by the forumgoers, because it calls Dies-Horribly "Father".
- Genius Bonus: Symun, the friendly giant spider, really likes Forgath.
Forgath: Ew ew ew! He's licking my face! Wait, do spiders even have tongues?
Onyx: No, they don't.
Forgath: Then what the hell is he licking me with?!
- Forgath would probably be happier not knowing that a spider's pedipalps are used for taste, smell, and insemination.
- I Knew It: Show of hands everyone who foresaw Psionic Minmax using the machine to come back to life.
- Image Source:
- Official Fan-Submitted Content: The dead adventurers caught in the first trap of the dungeon crawl where Minmax and the goblins team up are D&D characters whose illustrations or descriptions were submitted by readers of the webcomic.
- Reality Subtext: Spoilered for the sake of sensitive readers. This concerns Kin's Rape as Backstory. Really, only click through if you're sure you want to know. note
- Referenced by...: Tempts Fate makes a Cameo in a few strips of the webcomic anti-HEROES.
- Schedule Slip:
- The strip regularly suffers from this due to the artist putting everything in great detail for each page and having slight breakdowns. It culminated in a large breakdown in 2014 that the author just overcame near the end of the year.
- Still Played Straight, though differently, since an update timer was introduced. Originally, an update was scheduled every four days, then it went to five days. Also, when it ticks down to update time, it will occasionally skip back several hours (or even a day) and resume the countdown from there before updating.
- The update timer is no longer there. Since the return of the comic in September 2014, the pace has slowed to around one new page a month.
- Series Hiatus: Tempts Fate was initially intended to have a new scenario roughly every month. But then Thunt tried to make a scenario that got too big for him to handle on time while still staying on schedule with the comic. After a while he then made a mini-scenario to keep people satisfied in the meantime, and even then that one got put on a hiatus too.
- Similarly Named Works: Not to be confused with the French comic book Goblin's (with an apostrophe). It is also about goblins, but here they are stupid comic reliefs and not heroes.
- Word of Gay: According to Word of God, one member of the Goblin Adventuring Party is homosexual, though the character's sexuality hasn't cropped up in the series yet. For those who want to know, it's Big Ears, the Paladin.