The game's a total love letter to classic Cyber Punk
franchises. Elements of Blade Runner
, Bubblegum Crisis
, Armitage III
, Ghost in the Shell
and many others are clearly present.
Here are the specific shoutouts as seen in the game.
- When players complete purchases at the kiosks, the tune that plays when you hit the jackpot is the Final Fantasy victory theme.
- In the scene when you meet the British and Chinese members of the Rust Crew the side with the pool looks like E. Honda's stage in Street Fighter II
- A number of Resistance soldiers are wearing armor that's clearly inspired by Imperial Guardsmen.
- Amada hacks into the US millcom and orders nuclear strikes against the rest of the world - Skynet's opening gambit.
- Terminator influences are strongly felt with the skeleton structures of most robots, but most definitely with the car and giant motorcycle robots in the last highway chase.
- The mobile gun howitzer behaves very much like a non-nuclear Metal Gear.
- Putting Hollow Children in the place of certain persons has the same feeling of Snatcher all right.
- Also, female Hollow Children being capable of giving birth is definitely a shoutout to Armitage III.
- The design of the Mini Mecha used by Philiips' spec ops team strongly evokes Front Mission.
- Some Security robots in Upper Tokyo use machine pistols, having a habit of spinning their pistols with their trigger fingers when drawing/holstering - which was Alex Murphy's habit.
- The Ace Custom that Philips uses is painted red, ala Char's Zaku II.
- The Tsar Runner is essentially Demolishor from Revenge of the Fallen.
- Whether it's intentional or not (if it's ever cited specifically, I sure didn't see it), the Hollow Children's name is highly reminiscent of T.S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men."
- The Hollow Children (at least those who believe that they're human) living in normal society is taken from the original Ghost in the Shell and partially from Blade Runner.
- Kiryu's guerrilla skin in multiplayer is a shoutout to the Rambo franchise.
- The Rust Crew's mandate to hunt down Hollow Children under IRTA mandate is a shoutout to Blade Runner.