Series: The Last Leg
The Last Leg is a topical comedy show on the U.K's Channel Four, which originally ran alongside the main coverage of the 2012 Paralympic Games. It returned for two series of weekly episodes in 2013 and 2014, and is in its sixth series as of early 2015. The show is hosted by Australian comedian Adam Hills with co-hosts comedian Josh Widdicombe and journalist Alex Brooker.
- Accent Upon The Wrong Syllable: Josh occasionally picks up Adam on pronouncing certain words differently due to his Australian accent. This started when Adam pronounced data as d-ah-ta.
- Acceptable Ethnic Targets: Lots of jokes directed at Adam for being Australian, especially after Australia's poor performance at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
- Butt Monkey: Adam, Alex, and Josh have all had their fair share of this trope.
- Catch Phrase:
- Adam Hills has "You're being a dick!"
- Adam closes each show with "see you next week for the next leg".
- Guyliner: Happens to Josh◊ in series 4 episode 4 thanks to Claudia Winkleman.
- Ho Yay: Alex and Josh, Played for Laughs. Amongst other things, they've kissed on screen and been shown in bed together twice (once as part of a parody of an ad by the Australian Sex Party, once as part of the same sketch in which they kissed).
- It Makes Sense in Context: Lampshaded by Josh in series 6, in the episode following Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg's appearance.Josh: There was quite a lot of articles about The Last Leg last week, because Alex had interviewed the Deputy Prime Minister, and there was one in The Telegraph. It was all this stuff about Nick Clegg, and then - out of nowhere, no context - just a paragraph that said, "And then the Deputy Prime Minister got a melon and threw it at the disabled Alex Brooker, who cut it with a blade on his leg." People must have been reading that going, "What the fuck is going on? What kind of TV show are they making?"
- Mad Libs Catchphrase: Adam introduces Josh and Alex with, "Joining me is the pride of Dartmoor, Josh Widdicombe, and the man who [comedic fact about Alex, usually beginning with "this week"], Alex Brooker". This has only been subverted once, in series 4 episode 5, when Alex was introduced as the pride of his hometown, and Josh was introduced as Dartmoor's first goth.
- N-Word Privileges: Part of the show's raison d'etre, to say things about disability no non-disabled person could.
- Portmanteau: Josh + Alex = Jalex. This came about after Josh and Alex's first kiss in series 4, when people on Twitter started to refer to them as Jalex. It has since been used by the show's official Twitter feed, and mentioned by Adam.
- Scenery Censor: Adam has one in series 6, when he's shown bouncing naked on a trampoline with a dog covering him up note .
- Shout-Out: The show always ends with a skit that relates to one or more topics discussed in the episode.
- Take That: Nigh-constantly to Vladimir Putin. And Justin Bieber. And many others.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Anytime Adam launches into a tirade starting with "If (x) then you're being a dick!".
- Token Non-Disabled Person: Josh.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Adam, Alex, and Josh will make jokes at each others' expenses.