Series / Franklin & Bash
Franklin & Bash
is a comedy/legal series on TNT
. It stars Mark-Paul Gosselaar
(aka Zack Morris of Saved by the Bell
fame) as Peter Bash and Breckin Meyer as Jared Franklin, two irreverent young lawyers and legal partners who are recruited to a prestigious law firm to bring a fresh energy to the overly-stuffy atmosphere in the law firm.
Tropes in Franklin & Bash:
- Amoral Attorney: Damien in the first episode, when he colludes with a CEO to sell out an airline pilot to limit an airline's liability by paying a witness to make false testimony.
- Ambulance Chaser: How the two are operating in the first episode, but Lighter and Softer versions as per the show's tone.
- Blue Oni: Peter
- Bollywood Nerd: Pindar
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Both Franklin and Bash, of course.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Calling the Old Man Out: Franklin, with his father.
- Celebrity Paradox:
- The Charmer: Bash.
- Clear Their Name: The first season finale has Franklin & Bash working hard to clear Stanton Infeld of murder charges.
- Cool Old Guy - Stanton Infeld, naturally. After all, he hired Franklin and Bash himself.
- Courtroom Antic: Franklin in particular specializes in these. Bash actually says the page quote in defense of these tactics.
- The page quote apparently needs restored.
- Deadpan Snarker: While some characters excel in being snarky, the deadpan can be found mostly with Damian. Or as he would put it - Awesome.
- Embarrassing First Name: Jared's real first name is Elmo.
- Faking the Dead: A notorious prankster fakes his own murder to get revenge on his former best friend who is engaged to the prankster's former girlfriend.
- Fanservice: Plenty, starting with every party Franklin and Bash host. Especially apparent in the episode where they defend the two pole-dancing instructors. Bash has plenty of shirtless scenes too. He also had one scene exiting a hot tub in the nude.
- Genius Ditz: Again, both Franklin and Bash. They have zany personalities, but they arguably use this to their advantage in the courtroom, allowing them both to be almost-literal Bunny Ears Lawyers.
- He's All Grown Up: The flashback in "Waiting on a Friend" showing Peter and Jared's first meeting showed Peter was fat, had curly hair, and short (shorter than Jared!). Now a days... yeah.
- Hello, Attorney!: Peter is a male version. Hanna the quintessential female example of the trope.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Duh
- Hollywood Law: Double-duh.
- Ironic Echo: Used by Damien in the season finale to put Britt in her place.
- Lighter and Softer: Than your average procedural. Hell. even Boston Legal is a tad darker by comparison.
- Naked People Are Funny: At the start of the Season 3 premiere, Franklin and Bash foolishly make a bet with a rival lawyer played by Heather Locklear that results in the two of them having to complete a live nationally broadcast interview on the Piers Morgan Show in the nude except for shoes and socks. (They're concealed by a desk, but the sideshots suggest that Mark Paul Gosselaar was actually naked.)
- Office Sports: One episode opens up with a curling game using janitor brooms and people sitting in rolling chairs.
- Off with His Head!: A comedic and post mortem version. When Stanton says goodbye to his long deceased friend he pats him on the cheek...and his head falls off.
- Perverse Sexual Lust: They cite Betty Rubble and Jessica Rabbit as the hottest animated women, and Pindar says the title goes to Setsuna Meiou/Trista Meiou/Sailor Pluto (gaining stares from the rest of them).
- Red Oni: Jared
- Refuge in Audacity:
- The main characters often engage in this as part of their Courtroom Antic
- A man who is Faking the Dead appears to Pindar on a beach while wearing a sci-fi costume. He knows that Peter and Jared cannot not use this to prove in court that he is alive because Pindar will never be believed if called as a witness.
- Stock Legal Phrases
- Title Drop: The protagonists refer to themselves as "Franklin and Bash" often, and the titles of some of the episodes are also sometimes dropped in such as in "Bro-bono" and "Franklin vs. Bash".
- Working with the Ex:
- Bash's ex is an assistant District Attorney against whom he has a 1 for 14 record early on in the season.
- Hannah and Damian.