Referenced By / My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
Given the show's immense popularity, it's no surprise that other works would make reference to it and it's fanbase.
A lot of these examples fall under the trope, My Little Phony
. However, they are references nonetheless. If you find or know of a work that references the MLP franchise as a whole, list it there, not here. Just keep in mind that the example has to be dated after 2010 for it to be at least most likely a reference
- In Little Witch Academia during the tresure hunt on the room full of trash, Sucy pulls out a Twlilight Sparkle doll that almost instantly lose its head. In fact, the color and style of Sucy hair have some similarities to Fluttershy's mane.
- In the episode "Enchanted Parade" there is a Rarity toy on Lotte's Desk.
- In chapter 56 of No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!, Tomoko is late to school because she was watching an episode of Friendship Is Magic, with Rainbow Dash being shown. Also an Actor Allusion to the fact that Tomoko's anime voice actor also provided the Rainbow Dash's voice in the Japanese dub of the show.
- In the Sanjay and Craig episode "Road Pizza", Sanjay finds that Craig has eaten his pony toy.
- Teen Titans Go! has a Show Within a Show called "Pretty Pretty Pegasus", which Raven is a fan of. Most likely an Actor Allusion to Tara Strong reprising her role.
- MAD had at least six skits either parodying MLP or at least having a cameo by a pony. Even going so far as having Tara Strong reprising her role as Twilight in some instances.
- In The Simpsons episode "Treehouse of Horror XXIV", Lisa is implied to have a dream about Rainbow Dash at one point.
- The Bob's Burgers episode, "The Equestranauts", directly parodies the brony fanbase. Even going do far has to having it's own version of BronyCon.
- In the Littlest Pet Shop (2012) episode, "Littlest Pet Shop of Horrors", Blythe is seen riding a rather large Applejack plush as part of her Halloween costume. Most likely an Actor Allusion to the fact that both characters are voiced by Ashleigh Balle.
- In the Sonic Boom episode, "Fortress of Squalitude", when Dr. Eggman hires Amy to redecorate his lair so that he can get on the cover of a magazine, Amy hangs a painting with ponies resembling Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity on his wall.
- In Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies, Starbuck requests getting banished to the moon after being constantly caught lying in the court.
- Mari0 has the Sonic Rainboom as a cheat, which is performed by reaching a enough speed through portals. Mario gains Rainbow Dash's mane afterwards. Said mane is also available as one of the in-game hats.
- Four skills in Borderlands 2 make reference to the show. They are "20% Cooler", "Fancy Mathematics", "The Stare", and "Evil Enchantress". Furthermore, in the Tiny Tina DLC, it turns out that Butt Stallion looks a lot like Rarity.
- Maxwell's brother, Scratch, from "Scribblenauts Unlimited" somewhat resembles Vinyl Scratch. The player is also able to spawn the Element of Magic and Twilight's gala dress from Suited for Success
- The sorceress's hut in Candy box! 2 has three books on the shelf who's spines spell out "MLP". Furthermore, typing in "MLP" on the computer will result in the game printing the word "PONIES" over and over again.
- One of Diana's taunts in League of Legends is "The Moon will rise! The night will last forever!" Furthermore, one of Hecarim quotes is "Suffering is magic!"
- The Player-Owned Ports in RuneScape contains many references to the show. For example, "Twilight Sparkle", "Nightmare Moon", and "Element of Harmony" are all possible ship names. Also, each of the six regions in the archipelago has an island named after one member of the main six, and has a description to go with it.
- In Team Fortress 2, The Heavy will sometimes say "Everyone! Friendship is stupid magic!" Furthermore, an item called "Magical Mercenary" somewhat remembles Fluttershy. Wearing it gives an extra voice line that's a play on the phrase "Friendship is Magic" (sans the Medic and Pyro)
- One of the global quests in AdventureQuest has the player saying "I would say Friendship is Magic, but that sounds like a catchphrase from a really bad kid's show."
- One question in Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games asks what the name of Daisy's jump. One of the answers is "Rainbow Dash".
- One of the crash messages for Minecraft is "I just don't know what went wrong!".
- Some of the cars in Watch_Dogs have keychains inside them shaped like one of the characters.
- A plushie of Derpy Hooves can be seen at the store of Octodad: Dadliest Catch
- NPCs in Terraria will sometimes say " "Someone once told me friendship is magic. That's ridiculous, you can't turn people into frogs with friendship." Furthermore, the NPC, "Party Girl", somewhat resembles Pinkie Pie. She even sells her own version of the Party Cannon called the "Confetti Gun".
- In Dungeons of Dredmor, most of your weapon crafting is done using the "My Little Anvil Junior Smithing Kit". The description states that "Smithing is Magic".
- In Fallout 4, the logs in the office of Arlen Glass at Wilson Atomatoys Corporate HQ contain several references, including "I just don't know what went wrong", "I can't afford to be tardy. Clock is ticking, Arlen. Clock is ticking", and "I can't believe I skipped Marlene's recital to sit with a bunch of pink horses and watch paint dry."
- "Discord" and "Trixie" are available as Downloadable Content for Rock Band 2. These songs are possibly for Writing Around Trademarks, as their connections to the actual show are subtle, and can easily be taken out of context.
- In Pie Guy Rulz's "Every Episode of SpongeBob Season 3 Reviewed", he notices that the episode "My Pretty Seahorse" references My Little Pony, "before Friendship is Magic was a thing!".
- In his Pie Week 2014 recap, he mentions at one part "Of course there's going to be a My Little Pony episode about pie! Why wouldn't there be?". Most likely referring to either Over a Barrel or Somepony to Watch Over Me.
- Jirard wears a pair of Rainbow Dash wings throughout the review of Spyro the Dragon, which he promised to a friend.
- The Nostalgia Critic has taken many jabs toward the show and its fanbase. His philosophy being every single time someone says the word "pony" on the internet, the views go through the roof. Doug Walker himself is just indifferent towards the show in general and doesn't mind either the fans or haters. He's just making fun of the overabundance of the show online.
- In the Commander Kitty comic "Mouse Plays Mole", a Rarity doll can be seen in Sock's toolbox.
- In Steam Train's playthough of "Secret of the Magic Crystals", one of them says that the meteor got the horses their cutie marks.
- One episode of Ask That Guy with the Glasses has a question that asks if either Rainbow Dash or Twilight Sparkle is the better pony. Ask That Guy says that it's a matter of opinion, followed by him begging to just letting him like ponies.
- Ben The Looney has praised the show many times in his rants. Even going so far as accidentally saying he'd like to own toys of Lyra and Bon Bon just so he can make them kiss eachother.
- MovieBob, while not confirmed to be a brony, has made many references to the show in "The Big Picture".
- In his Family Guy episode, he stated that admitting to liking Family Guy is like bringing up a discussion on whether Friendship is Magic or Adventure Time is the better show. He then shows a picture of someone saying "It's Adventure Time", though he never said that was because he hated the show.
- In "Science!" a picture of the main six hugging each other from The Cutie Mark Chronicles is shown at one point.
- A vector of Pinkie Pie briefly appears in "If the Oscars Were the VGAs".
- In Classic Game Room Undertow's review of "My Little Pony: The Runaway Rainbow", Derek sings the first part of the theme song near the beginning, as well as saying he used to wonder what friendship could be as well.
- During Brows Held High's review of Exterminating Angels, Kyle scolds his audience for being turned on during the lesbian sex montage and shows the clip of Pinkie singing "Evil Enchantress" instead.
- CGP Grey occasionally makes references in his videos, usually involving cutie marks.
- In "5 Historical Misconceptions Rundown", Rarity's cutie mark is added to Lady Godiva's horse, and Napoleon's horse appears to bear a screw cutie mark.
- "Groundhog Day Explained" features a groundhog with Trixie's hat and cutie mark, as well as a hyperlink to a video of Trixie.
- At one point in Artemis Fowl Foaly tells Mayne "Listen, nephew, if you want to strap a horn to your forehead and go to conventions on the weekends, that's completely fine".
Table Top Game
- Pinkie Pie appears in The Aquabats! Super Show! episode "Cowboy Android".
- The Comic Book Men episode "BronyCon" takes place at BronyCon 2014.
- In the Modern Family episode "Schooled", Haley is given Friendship is Magic-themed bedsheets.
- One episode of The Colbert Report had Stephen saying "I want to give a big shout-out here out there to all my bronies who may be watching". He even drives the point home by making a horse-riding motion.
- One $800 dollar question on an episode of Jeopardy! was "Applejack & Pinkie Pie are 2 of the teensy equines in this toy line". Said question was answered correctly as simply "My Little Pony".
- A Rainbow Dash doll can be seen inside a backpack in the Adam Ruins Everything episode "Adam Ruins Security".