Recap / The X-Files S06 E10 "Tithonus"
Scully, but not Mulder, is assigned to investigate Alfred Fellig, a photographer with a suspicious knack of turning up when somebody is about to die.
- Balancing Death's Books: Fellig recounts how he became immortal when a nurse took his death for him. At the end of the episode, he does the same for Scully, gaining the death he desires and implicitly leaving her immortal in turn.
- Chekhov's Gun: One dating all the way back to the Season 3 episode "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose". In that episode, Bruckman claimed to be able to see people's deaths, and when Scully asked him how she's going to die, he replied, "You don't". This episode ends with Fellig apparently transferring his immortality to Scully.
- Deliberately Monochrome: Alfed Fellig sees when people are about to die. Their color fades and he sees them in black and white.
- Elderly Immortal: Alfred Fellig was already in his 60s when he became immortal, and didn't get youth along with immortality.
- Healing Factor: Fellig has this as a side-effect of his immortality, being able to recover from being stabbed repeatedly over a couple of days. The ending implies that he has passed this on to Scully, as she is told by Mulder that her exceptionally quick recovery from her gunshot wound have left the hospital staff in awe.
- Holding Hands: Mulder holds Scully's hand in the hospital.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: Fellig tried several time to commit suicide, but nothing works. He's only in pain.
- Older Than They Look: Alfred Fellig from "Tithonus" was a photographer who gained immortality by tricking Death.
- Spooky Photographs: Felling tries to get spectral snap type of the trope and get a photograph of Death. The actual photos are more of the foreboding type because he can sense who is gonna die.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Life gets boring when you lose your drive. Love doesn't last forever, either.
- Wall Slump: Scully. Agent Ritter shoots Fellig, but the bullet passes through him and into Scully (and apparently out again, as there's blood on the wall behind her). Once Fellig falls, there's a second or two before Scully follows.
- You Can't Fight Fate: When Fellig demonstrates his death perception to Scully by pointing out a woman who's about to die, Scully intervenes and prevents an attack on the woman, only for the woman to get hit by a passing truck.