Recap / The X Files S 06 E 04 Dreamland
Driving to Area 51 in the middle of the night to meet with an informant, Scully and Mulder are stopped on the highway by a caravan of soldiers and a mysterious man in black
. In the middle of this encounter, a mysterious craft passes overhead and then crashes, sending a wave of energy across all the bystanders. Seconds later, Mulder realizes that he and the man in black have switched bodies. Hilarity Ensues
- "Freaky Friday" Flip: A side effect of being caught in the alien craft's crash radius. Agent Mulder and an Area 51 security officer get mind-switched. Additionally, one of the pilots switches bodies with an old woman several miles away.
- Mirror Routine: Micheal McKean and David Duchovny do this when Mulder examines his new body in the mirror.
- Not Himself: Both Mulder and Morris after the mind-switch. Morris in Mulder's body kisses up to A.D. Kersh, sleeps with Kersh's secretary, plays minigolf on his computer, attempts to seduce Scully, and buys a water bed.
- Tele-Frag: Besides the "Freaky Friday" Flip, this is the other side effect of being caught in the alien craft's crash radius.
- The Men in Black: Fletcher Morris is one of these. Mulder has to masquerade has him after the mind-switch.
- The Mirror Shows Your True Self: This episode's convention is that the body-swapped Fletcher and Mulder appear to the audience as the character, not their body. Mirrors and cameras reveal how everyone in the show sees them. Mulder dances in front of the mirror when he examines his new body.
- To Be Continued: Two-parter episode.
- Villains Blend in Better: Averted; both Mulder and Morris have moments where they blend in very well and moments where they don't. At first Mulder is confused by what's happened, but Morris hardly bats an eye as he gets in the car with Scully. Mulder manages to stumble his way through Area 51 and Morris's home life, but nobody really calls him on his strange behavior. Morris, on the other hand, seems to have no trouble fitting in at the FBI, but Scully immediately and repeatedly notices his strange behavior, to the point that she considers getting him evaluated by a psychiatrist.