- Asshole Victim: Whaley, who taunts Rawls, and Superintendent Fellowes, who puts Rawls in the Punishment Box. During a tornado. Whaley ends up with a nail hammered through his hand while Fellowes gets ripped in half. And arguably Rawls himself, considering it's pretty cruel to put someone in an unsecured sweat box in the middle of a tornado.
- Character Title: In a variation from previous character titles on the show, "Trevor" is not the person of interest, but instead the son that Monster of the Week's broken out of prison to see.
- Gunman with Three Names: Wilson Pinker Rawls.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: After the tornado blows over, this is discovered to be the fate of Superintendent Fellowes.
- Intangibility: Rawls has this ability as a power, as well as the ability to reduce anything he passes through to ash. It's demonstrated with some Technobabble that it's electricity-based and doesn't work against insulating materials, and he's eventually done in when he tries to phase through a speeding car and gets fatally smacked by the windshield.
- Preemptive "Shut Up": Scully to Mulder, after she acknowledges the possibility of Spontaneous Human Combustion.
- Punishment Box: Rawls is being punished for attacking another inmate by being locked in a small shed right before a tornado hits.
- Spontaneous Human Combustion: Scully finally mentions it as a possibility here.Mulder: "Dear Diary: Today my heart leapt when Agent Scully suggested spontaneous human combustion."
- Villainous B.S.O.D.: When Rawls sees how much he's terrified his own son, he wanders into the street and allows June to hit him with a car.