Recap / The X-Files S06 E02 "Drive"
Mulder is kidnapped by a man (Bryan Cranston
) whose head will explode if he doesn't keep driving west.
- Ambiguously Jewish: Once again, an anti-Semitic character suggests that Mulder is Jewish.
- Asshole Victim: Patrick Crump but he gets sympathetic.
- Brown Note: A secret Navy communication device generates radio waves that vibrate at the same frequency as the human skull, inducing increasing intracranial pressure that literally blows the listener's brains out their ears unless the pressure is relieved surgically.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Patrick Crump believes in a Jewish conspiracy.
Mulder: Well, on behalf of the international Jewish conspiracy I just need to inform you that we're... almost out of gas.
- Downer Ending: Mulder and Scully are unable to save Crump's life.
- Hero Stole My Bike: Mulder is forced to "borrow" a car from a random guy at the pump. Unusually for the trope, he's held responsible and AD Kersh chews him for it.
- Insistent Terminology: Mr. Crump.
- I Will Punish Your Friend for Your Failure: Hersh bills Scully for the expenses Mulder racked up during the episode.
Mulder: Why don't you bill me?
AD Kersh: I'll bill your partner instead. You too obviously relish the role of martyr.
- Monster of the Week: A case not connected to mythology, but it was found out that the government and the army were to be blamed for the mysterious disease.
- Quest to the West: Mulder drives stricken Patrick Crump due west at high speed. Crump and his wife lived near an antenna array that caused their inner ear pressure to escalate. Driving fast due west through the Earth's magnetic field was the only way to relieve the terrible pain.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: After all the effort Mulder and Scully go to, Crump still dies.
- Shoot the Dog: There's a poor dog suffering the same fate as Crump - pressure building up in its ears - left behind in the neighborhood wiped out by that affliction. It doesn't end well.
- Shout-Out: Drive faster or your own head will go off like a bomb. Like Mulder notes, we've seen that movie.
- Stock Episode Titles: 27 uses.
- Tragic Villain: Crump may be an asshole, but he did not deserve his fate.
- Troubled Sympathetic Bigot: Patrick Crump who hates or at least dislikes Jews.
- Your Head Asplode: Your head will explode through your ear if you don't drive - and drive faster - in the right direction (westward). Ew.