The Lone Gunmen discover some (possible) information about the early life of Mulder's nemesis.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: As well as master-minding a conspiracy to suppress knowledge about aliens and generally control the United States Government, Cancer Man also set up The Miracle on Ice (by doping the Soviet goalie) and ensures that the Buffalo Bills never win the Super Bowl.
- Been There, Shaped History: Cigarette Smoking Man and Deep Throat.
- Pet the Dog: The last couple of scenes show suprisingly sympathetic a side of CSM we've never seen before, an eager amatuer writer who gets depressed when the crap magazine that published his story changed the ending. Also serves as a bit of a meta joke, since the ending of the episode that aired was different from the one in the script.
- Shout-Out: To Forrest Gump. Given the fact that CSM is essentially a dark Forrest, it verges on Take That.
CIGARETTE SMOKING MAN: Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
- Sympathy for the Devil: CSM is already a major villain, and Frohike's revelations give him a further upgrade on the villainy scale. Nevertheless, he is also portrayed as a lonely, unfulfilled and bitter character, which humanizes him a bit.
- Unreliable Narrator: Frohike notes that there is no real way to confirm the information he has found. CSM's position on cigarettes and movies changes between scenes too, but this may just be him lying.
- Who Shot JFK?: CSM. He killed Martin Luther King too.
- You Look Familiar: Chris Owens, who plays young CSM later returns as Agent Jeffrey Spender.