Recap / The X-Files S04 E15 "Kaddish"
Mulder suspects that a golem, a monster described in Jewish folklore, may be responsible for the deaths of several people who murdered a Jewish man.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Ambiguously Jewish: The anti-Semitic shop-owner suggests that Mulder is Jewish.
- Asshole Victims: The teenagers who murdered Isaac, and the man that incited them to it.
- Bittersweet Ending: Ariel is able to say goodbye to Isaac... before she wipes off the aleph that ends the golem's existence.
- Book-Ends: The episode opens with the קדיש אחר הקבורה (mourner's Kaddish) at Isaac's funeral and ends with Ariel repeating it to her golem.
- Came Back Wrong: The murderous golem that Isaac has become.
- Final Solution: Jacob Weiss is a survivor of The Holocaust.
- Golem: Isaac.
- Immune to Bullets: The golem, of course.
- Not So Different: The neo-Nazi most responsible for Isaac's murder ends up covered in graveyard mud, behaving very much like a soulless automaton.
- Our Zombies Are Different: The golem.
- Resurrected Romance: Isaac and Ariel.
- Shout-Out: Ariel mentions how her family hails from Prague, the city famous for the Golem legend.
- Widowed at the Wedding: Isaac and Ariel were already married, but he was killed before the wedding at the synagogue, so the trope somehow fits.
- With This Ring: A beautiful ceremonial ring used for Jewish wedding is a part of the backstory. It's shaped like a huge castle with exquisite detail.