Recap / The X-Files S04 E23 "Demons"
Mulder wakes up in an unfamiliar hotel room with no memory of the past two days and someone else's blood on his shirt. In attempting to recover his memories of recent events, he also encounters new and significant memories about his childhood.
- Flashback Nightmare: How the episode begins. It's not much of a surprise opening because of the standard flashback effects and the fact that it depicts Mulder as his younger self together with his sister Samantha.
- Friend or Idol Decision: Mulder has to choose between saving Scully and finding the truth about what happened to Samantha.
- Meaningful Name: David and Amy Cassandra.
- Murder-Suicide: The murder which Mulder might have committed was ruled out as murder-suicide.
- Ominous Visual Glitch: Mulder underwent an extreme psycho-treatment to induce his memories of Samantha's abduction. His "memories" (probably hallucinations) were showed in freaky colours with distorted people, and the picture is intentionally grainy.
- Pensieve Flashback: The opening Flashback Nightmare shows Mulder as his younger self as well as him as an adult observing the scene.
- Shower of Angst: Mulder
- Stock Episode Titles
- You Wake Up in a Room: The opening scene of Mulder waking up in an unfamiliar hotel room with somebody else's blood on his shirt.