Recap / The X-Files S04 E05 "The Field Where I Died"
Investigation of a doomsday cult leads to déjà vu
for Mulder and revelations about past lives.
- Continuity Nod:
: (To Mulder)
I wouldn't change a day. Well, except for that Flukeman thing
. I could have lived without that just fine.
- Downer Ending: Despite their best efforts, Mulder and Scully are unable to stop Vernon and other head cultists from being released and later Drinking The Koolaid.
- Friendship Moment: Scully's "I wouldn't change a day" speech.
- Held Gaze: Mulder and Scully after her line, "I wouldn't change a day".
- Multi-Gendered Split Personalities: Melissa is initially suspected to have a dissociative identity disorder, until the whole reincarnation business is brought forth.
- Mystery Cult: The Temple of the Seven Stars.
- Reincarnation: Major theme of the episode. Melissa channels her past lives and Mulder finds out about his past lives under hypnosis.
- Reincarnation Romance: Mulder, under hypnosis, recounts that he, his sister, Scully, and Cancer Man have been reincarnated into each other's lives over several lifetimes and are always related, and Cancer Man is always evil. Mulder's supposed soul-mate-in-every-life is a woman named Melissa who also channels a guy called Sidney and Lily, a little girl. It's kind of weird that they are supposed to be that close all the time, and here she's one off character who's hard to relate to.
- Would Hurt a Child: From Melissa's testimony, Vernon was quite an abusive person who sadistically hurt a child.