Recap: The X Files S 04 E 04 Unruhe
- Anti-Villain: What Gerry does to his victims is truly nightmarish, but he's got a pretty big Freudian Excuse lurking in his past driving him to do it, and he believes that he's helping his victims overcome their "unrest."
- Distress Ball: Scully gets kidnapped.
- Eye Scream: Gerry Schnauz gives a transorbital lobotomy to troubled women, believing that it will help them. It used to be known as an icepick lobotomy and it involves inserting a leucotome through the eye sockets. Argh!
- Foreign Language Title: The title of the episode "Unruhe" is the German word for unrest, anxiety, unease, disquietude or restlessness.
- Gratuitous German: There are many German lines, courtesy of Gerry and Scully.
- Lobotomy: Gerry is a serial lobotomist. He thinks he's helping his victims.
- Never Recycle a Building: Gerry's father's dental office has been untouched since his death.
- Spooky Photographs: Of the foreboding type. They capture the victims' and Gerry's mind,leaving clues about their whereabouts.
- Played with a bit in that Mulder assumes that the shadows being cast in the photos are the shadow of the killer as he looms over his victims, dominating them — but it turns out it's because Gerry perceives his victims as being tormented by "the howlers," which in turn don't actually exist.