Recap: The X Files S 04 E 12 Leonard Betts
- Car Fu: Leonard Betts tried to run Mulder and Scully over.
- Chiaroscuro: A visual trope, using a sharp contrast between dark and light. It's noticeable especially in the scene in the storage locker where Betts gives birth to his another self. Beautifully and scarily lit.
- Combat Stilettos: Scully when she fights with Betts.
- Deadly Nosebleed: A symptom of Scully's cancer.
- Every Car Is a Pinto: Betts' retreating car blows up after Mulder and Scully each shoot one bullet in its general direction. Admittedly Betts was trying to fake his death, but there's no mention of the car being packed with fuel cans or something.
- Faking the Dead: When Leonard Betts has a car accident, he has no other choice: after decapitation, he must pretend he died. He pulled this off as Albert Tanner. He tries to fake his death again after another accident.
- Fingore: When he's handcuffed to a car handle, he tears off his own thumb. He will grow a new one, but it was obviously extremely painful.
- Healing Factor: Leonard Betts is capable of very extreme regeneration of all body parts, including decapitated head. He can even create a whole new body. All he needs for his regeneration are human tumours.
- Life or Limb Decision: Downplayed. It's Freedom or Finger Decision, and Betts's choice is made easier as he knows his thumb will grow again.
- Losing Your Head: Betts gets decapitated in a car accident.
- Magical Defibrillator:
- Defibrillator is used to revive Mrs Tanner.
- Scully uses a defibrillator as an improvised weapon when Betts attacks her.
- Mama Bear: Mrs. Tanner is very protective of her son Leonard Betts.
- Monster of the Week: Betts. However, the episode is also connected to Myth Arc when it's revealed that Scully has cancer.
- Picky People Eater: Betts eats tumorous tissues.
- Psycho Strings: Similar sound was used when Betts attacked his victims.
- Squick: In-universe.
- Mulder is disgusted when they have to look for Betts's body in a medical waste processing unit, full of amputated limbs and other human remains.
- Both Mulder and Scully squick when they realize that Betts needs to eat tumours to survive.Scully: He needs [tumours] for survival? [Mulder nods] So you’re saying that this is …?
Mulder: Snack food.
- The Stake Out: Mulder and Scully stake out Mrs. Tanner's house.
- Waking Up at the Morgue: Even though Betts's head was decapitated, he was only mostly dead and woke up at the morgue. He waited when nobody was around and simply left. His head was alive, too.
- Wham Line: Betts to Scully: "I'm sorry... but you've got something I need." A cancerous tumor.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Poor Leonard Betts. It's hardly his fault he needs to eat cancers, but his "death" put the hospital stores out of reach. In desperation he kills, and horrible though that is, until the accident he'd been just a really good (if occasionally cannibalistic) EMT.