Recap / The X-Files S04 E24 "Gethsemane"
An expedition in Northwestern Canada finds an alien body frozen in the ice. Scully meets a man who claims that all the evidence of alien life Mulder has ever encountered has been faked as part of a conspiracy covering up terrestrial wrong-doing. The episode ends with Scully reporting that Mulder has been found dead by his own hand.
- Alien Autopsy: Mulder is called to witness a retrieval of an alien body covered deep in ice and they perform an autopsy. However, an informant who worked for the Department of Defense claims that the subject of the autopsy was not a real alien but only what "they" wanted Mulder to see.
- How We Got Here: The episode opens with an inquiry into Mulder's alleged suicide, then goes to the beginning of the events that lead to the inquiry.
- Manly Tears: Mulder cries intensely when his quest has been unsuccessful again and the alien that look like real deal was fake.
- Orphaned Punchline: Bill at the family dinner.
- Rule of Symbolism: The episode title refers to the garden where Judas betrayed Jesus. This episode shows how Mulder and Scully were set up as sacrificial lambs to exploit and discredit Mulder's beliefs.
- Unreliable Narrator: Scully, In-Universe.