Recap / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 S 1 E 18 The Shredder Strikes Back Part 2
Leonardo lies unconscious while his brothers and Master Splinter defend against waves of attacking Foot Ninja, all while attempting to flee April's house. Desiring revenge, the Shredder seeks to destroy the Turtles and their allies at any cost. Even if he has to burn the whole place to the ground...
This episode provides examples of:
- Arrow Catch: Master Splinter literally catches a speeding arrow moments before it pierces his body
- Badass Boast: The Shredder, as he makes his exit.
"Like the Phoenix, I have risen from the ashes! And into my fire, you shall fall."
- The Bad Guy Wins
- Berserk Button: Casey beats Hun silly for threatening April.
- Big Damn Heroes: Casey. He made his first appearance in about ten episodes count.
- Car Fu: Casey uses his motorcycle to knock around the Elite.
- Close-Call Haircut: a variation of this happens to a Foot ninja's bandana when Raph hurls a sword at them.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The Turtles and Master Splinter hold their own in the fight, but their opponents wear them down by sheer numbers and brute strength
- Darkest Hour: The Turtles' hiding place is exposed, Leo is badly injured, and the Shredder is sending the bulk of his forces against them.
- Death is Cheap: Discussed. When the others doubt that the Shredder could still be alive, Mikey invokes comic books.
"If you read comic books, you'd know. The bad guy always comes back. Always!"
- Determinator: Beaten severely, Leo still tries to get up and help, but it only gets him more injured.
- Downer Ending: April's shop/home is destroyed as she, the Turtles, Casey and Splinter are all presumed dead.
- Dynamic Entry: The Foot begin their attack by crashing through windows. Casey does them one better by crashing through a window with his motorcycle.
- The End... Or Is It?: A villainous example. The episode ends with a "To Be Continued?"
- Foreshadowing: When the group is forced to run into the closet, April mentions that it used to be a walk-in freezer for a grocery store that used to be there. The next episode reveals the group escapes the explosion by crawling out the hole where the freezing unit used to be.
- From Bad to Worse: With Leo battered on the floor, the characters make plans to leave when Mikey sees the Foot on the nearby rooftops. It just gets worse from there.
- Kick Them While They Are Down: Splinter is really pissed off when the Shredder is willing to attack Leonardo when he's unconscious.
- Lame Comeback: Mikey to the Shredder:
Shredder: Say farewell to each other, while you still can.
Mikey: Oh yeah, Mr. Spikeypants? Well, you're the one who should be saying farewell to uh, to yourself!
Raph: Oh yeah, Mikey. That got 'em.
Mikey: Hey, I'm under a lot of pressure here!
- Nice Hat: The Foot Elite.
- Oh, Crap!: As the Foot appear on neighboring rooftops.
Mikey: Guys, we've got company!
- Revenge: Shredder outright states this as his motivation.
"You freaks have been a thorn in my side long enough. No one opposes the Shredder, and now I will have my revenge for our last encounter."
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Mikey, Don and Raph each compliment the Foot Elite on their Nice Hats.
- Would Hit a Girl: Hun was planning on killing April, hoping the turtles' would lose their will to fight with her gone