Recap: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 S 1 E 19 Tales Of Leo
The Turtles, Splinter, April, and Casey have narrowly survived the explosion of the antique shop by getting out of the closet door. As a result, they have to make shelter at Casey's grandmother's farmhouse. With Leo down, the Turtles tell them of their experiences with him to get him back.
Meanwhile, Stockman, without his legs, right eye, left hand and with a broken neck, is sent to find proof of the turtle's death, but can find no valid evidence.
This episode provides examples of:
- Batman Gambit: How Splinter helped Leo get over his acrophobia. He pretended to be in danger of a fall to force Leo into action, but he could've saved himself at any time.
- Continuity Nod: Stockman's previous failure is revealed to leave him with a broken neck and arm and in a wheelchair.
- Converse with the Unconscious: Pretty much the entire A-plot
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Shredder refuses to celebrate his victory until he gets definitive proof that the Turtles are dead.
- Genre Blindness: On the other hand, trusting Stockman to do the job was an obvious oversight on Shredder's part.
- Manly Tears: Raph as he begins to recall his experience with Leo.
- Narrator: Shredder's first time.
- Never Found the Body: Shredder is aware of this trope and tells Stockman to search the remains of the shop in order to find the Turtles' bodies.
- The Spartan Way: In Splinter's story it's revealed that Leonardo as a child was suffering from a fear of heights. Splinter brings him to the top of a gigantic reservoir and pretends to be in danger of falling. Leonardo forces himself to crawl out and save him, and apparently conquers his fear in the process.
- The Starscream: Stockman descends into this level at the end.
- Tactical Withdrawal: Leonardo needs a safe place to recover in, but with the Foot still swarming the sewers, going back to the lair isn't an option. The Turtles and company are forced to retreat to a farm owned by Casey's family.
- We Need to Get Proof: Saki orders Dr. Stockman to find evidence that the Turtles are dead, but fails to find any. Not wanting to face him empty-handed, Stockman forges some for his boss.
- Whole Episode Flashback: The parts with the turtles and Splinter as they remember the times they had with Leo several years prior to the series' beginning.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: In Splinter's story, Leonardo develops an extreme case of acrophobia that he must overcome.