Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 06 E 21 The Reckoning
An ancient tablet nets Sisko another visit from the Prophets. And they speak of a reckoning that's about to test Sisko's faith, Kai Winn's faith and rock the station.
- Abandon Ship: Sisko orders the station evacuated so the fight can occur without endangering innocent lives.
- Beam-O-War: And the Prophet's beam almost wins.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Jake previously spoke of his desire to see a Pah-Wraith. He gets his wish and then some.
- Big "NO!": The Prophet when it realizes Winn has interfered in the fight.
- Continuity Nod: Jake mentions two other times that Sisko's received visions from the Prophets.
- And B'Hala is still being excavated.
- Demonic Possession: Jake controlled by the Pah-Wraith, complete with Red Eyes, Take Warning.
- Either World Domination or Something about Bananas: The computer's translation of the tablet says that the Bajorans will either suffer horribly...or eat fruit. Sisko and Dax figure on the former.
- However, in the scene between Kira and Odo near the beginning of the episode, Kira is indeed eating fruit salad.
- Good Versus Evil: A Prophet vs a Pah-Wraith right on the promenade...and it's awesome.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Winn is in full jealousy mode. Kira can see right through it.
"Kai Winn sees a martyr in the making — the last thing she wants is to spend the rest of her life standing in the shadow of a statue of Sisko."
- The script for this episode makes it explicit:
- Heroic Sacrifice: Not that he has a choice in the matter, but Jake is willing to let himself be killed if it means the Pah-Wraith is also destroyed.
- Never Give the Captain a Straight Answer: Odo calls Sisko to the promenade and says he'll "let [Sisko] be the judge" of whether or not what's going on is a problem. Somewhat Justified in that only The Sisko knows whether or not a Prophet possessing Kira is a problem.
- Oh Crap!: Sisko's reaction to the Pah-Wraith possessing Jake.
- Poor Communication Kills: Just out of curiosity, why didn't Sisko mention the Reckoning to Winn earlier in the episode? Things might've gone more smoothly between them.
- Psychic Nosebleed: Kira during the fight.
- Spanner in the Works: The Prophet is within a few moments of defeating the Pah-Wraith...then Winn stops the fighting due to her jealousy of Sisko.
- Take Me Instead: Sisko offers himself to the Pah-Wraith to save his son. Doesn't go over well.
- Voice of the Legion: Both Kira and Jake get this during their possession. Though Jake's is more demonic sounding.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Kira chews Winn out for (once again) letting her ambition and jealousy override her service to the Prophets.
- Willing Channeler: Kira for the Prophet, complete with Occult Blue Eyes.
- It's possible that this was the case for Jake as well. He had, in the past, made no secret of his discomfort, and even anger, with the Prophets for what they were doing to his father. While the Pah-Wraith may not have bothered to ask Jake if he wanted to act as its host, it may well have sought him out because it thought he would be more receptive to it than others would have been.