Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 05 E 05 The Assignment
Keiko returns from Bajor possessed by a dangerous and malicious entity. And O'Brien is stuck fighting the clock to make sure he can get it out of his wife without killing her.
- Adult Fear: The whole episode is this for resident Butt Monkey Miles O'Brien. Especially when Possessed!Keiko is alone with Molly.
- A Glass in the Hand: O'Brien is compelled to act normally at a party. The stress becomes too much for him when Possessed!Keiko shows mock-affection for his daughter, and he shatters his whiskey glass.
- Book Ends: The episode opens with Rom getting the breakfast of choice for the night shift crewman. And ends with him getting the breakfast of choice for the day shift crewman.
- Demonic Possession: If you consider the Wormhole Aliens spirits, anyway.
- Foreshadowing: Jake says that he'd like to see a Pah-Wraith. A year later, he gets possessed by one.
- I Have Your Wife: The Pah-Wraith controlling Keiko.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: Rather than help O'Brien tell Keiko that her plants died while she was away, Bashir claims that he has to be in the infirmary performing an operation.
O'Brien: On who?
Bashir: I'll find someone.
- Followed by Molly retreating from the scene.
- Ironic Birthday: Just to make things even harder on O'Brien. Not that anyone else knows that anything is wrong.
- Out-Gambitted: The Pah-Wraith, once Rom helps O'Brien figure out what's going on.
- Undying Loyalty: Rom to O'Brien, even when O'Brien admits he's not actually doing a top-secret project for Starfleet. O'Brien repays him for it in the end.
- Wham Line: From Rom of all people:
Rom: The new frequency of the deflector grid is set to turn the station into a massive chroniton array aimed directly at the wormhole. So I just wanted to know... why are we trying to kill the wormhole aliens?