On the eve of Bajor's entry into the Federation, Sisko locates the ruins of the ancient lost city of B'hala on Bajor. As the visions that are guiding him prove potentially fatal, Sisko must choose between faith and his life.
Tropes featured in "Rapture":
- Early-Installment Weirdness: This is the first DS9 episode to feature the Starfleet uniforms from Star Trek: First Contact, and it's evident that, except for Michael Dorn, who's already worn it, the main cast hasn't gotten used to them yet.
- Heel Realization: Though it doesn't stick, Winn is moved by Sisko's visions.
"Before Captain Sisko found B'hala, my path was clear. I knew who my enemies were. But now nothing is certain."
- Innocuously Important Episode: Sisko foresees locusts appearing over Bajor before heading for Cardassia. A few episodes later, a Dominion fleet exits the wormhole and heads for Cardassia, which has joined the Dominion. The same two-parter also revealed that Bashir had been replaced by a Changeling in-between "The Ascent" and this episode.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Winn during a discussion with Kira.
"Those of you who were in the Resistance, you're all the same. You think you're the only ones who fought the Cardassians, that you saved Bajor single-handedly. Perhaps you forget, Major, the Cardassians arrested any Bajoran found to be teaching the word of the Prophets. I was in a Cardassian prison camp for five years, and I can remember each and every beating I suffered. And while you had your weapons to protect you, all I had was my faith... and my courage. Walk with the Prophets child... I know I will"
- Whatley also makes a valid point about the problems of having the Bajorans view a Starfleet officer as a religious figure.
- Manly Tears: Sisko is devastated when his visions are taken away.
- Please Don't Leave Me: Jake's plea to his unconscious father before giving Bashir permission to operate.
- Skepticism Failure: Whatley disbelieves Sisko's visions until Sisko remarks that Whatley's son, Kevin, has forgiven him. Whatley had never told anyone about his problematic relationship with his son.
- The Bus Came Back: Kasidy has served out her prison sentence and returned to the station.
- Undying Loyalty: The Bajoran Council of Ministers unanimously vote against entry into the Federation based on Sisko's warning.