Recap / South Park S 10 E 1 The Return Of Chef
The boys' old friend, Chef, returns, and they soon find out that Chef is a shell of his former self, thanks to a secret society.
"The Return of Chef" contains examples of:
- The Bad Guy Wins: William Connelly and the Super Adventure Club.
- Big Bad: William Connelly, the Super Adventure Club's leader.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Chef.
- Cerebus Syndrome
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Chef's death is pure Gorn and Nightmare Fuel.
- Cruel Twist Ending
- Darker and Edgier: This episode is generally considered one of the darkest episodes of South Park, even for a series full of Black Humour.
- Downer Ending
- Even Evil Has Standards: Even CARTMAN hates the club that transformed Chef into a pedophile.
- Expy: Darth Chef, to Darth Vader.
- Fallen Hero: Chef.
- Faux Affably Evil: While Connelly doesn't want to to kill the boys, he, however, does not seem to mind psychologically traumatizing children in order to get their "marlocks".
- Faux Horrific: William Connelly's attempts to make asking the boys to leave and being escorted out by security sound threatening, complete with dramatic fanfare and an Evil Laugh.
William Connelly: ...Okay, you know how, like, when you want people to leave but they won't leave, it's really frustrating?
- Ironic Echo: During the episode, Kyle repeatedly calls the Super Adventure Club a fruity little club. When Chef surrenders to the Super Adventure Club...
William Connelly: Yes... looks like our "fruity little club" is safe after all.
- Jerkass: William Connelly.
- Karma Houdini: William Connelly and his Super Adventure Club.
- Killed Off for Real: Chef, but was revived later, as cyborg.
- Knight of Cerebus: William Connelly himself can be seen like this.
- No Dead Body Poops: Played for Laughs.
Cartman: Maybe... maybe he's still okay.
No, really. They say the last thing you do before you die is crap your— (Chef's corpse loses its shit)
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer: "THIS IS WHAT THE SUPER ADVENTURE CLUB ACTUALLY BELIEVES", a Call Back to "Trapped In the Closet".
- One-Shot Character: William Connelly did not reappear anymore. Neither did Darth Chef, for that matter.
- Take That: The entire episode is one toward the Church of Scientology after Issac Hayes, a Scientologist, left the show in response to Trey and Matt parodying his religion.
- Too Dumb to Live: One of the club members shoots Chef rather than the animals that were attacking him.
- This Is Gonna Suck:
William Connelly: Our club has a message, and a secret that explains the mysteries of life!
Stan: Oh Jesus, here we go.
Willaim Connolly: Very well, I'm now going to tell you the secret of the Super Adventure Club.
Stan: We don't wanna hear it.
- Uninstallment: The episode opens with a fake Previously On showing Chef leaving the town.
- Wham Episode