's Wham Episode
. This episode is, agree with the fans as one of the darkest episodes of the series, most notably the death of an important character in the series: Chef. While the episode still has reliefs of humor, still remains darker and dramatic compared with other episodes.
The episode begins with Chef returning after a vacation with the Super Adventure Club, but since returning, the four children see him different now, with pedophile tendencies. Finally, the episode ends with Chef being Killed Off for Real
by a bear, and revived by the same club that turned him into a pedophile.
"The Return of Chef" contains examples of:
- The Bad Guy Wins: William Connelly and the Super Adventure Club.
- Big Bad: William Connelly, the Super Adventure Club's leader.
- Bowel Existence Failure: Played for Laughs.
Cartman: Maybe...maybe he's still okay.
No, really. They say the last thing you do before you die is crap your— (Chef's corpse loses its shit)
- Cerebus Syndrome
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Chef's death is pure Gorn and Nightmare Fuel.
- Cruel Twist Ending
- Darker and Edgier: This episode is generally considered one of the darkest episodes of South Park, even for a series full of Black Humour.
- Downer Ending
- Even Evil Has Standards: Even CARTMAN hates the club that transformed Chef in pedophile.
- Expy: Darth Chef, to Darth Vader.
- Fallen Hero: Chef.
- Faux Affably Evil: While Connelly not wanting to kill the boys, he, however, does not seem to mind psychologically traumatizing children in order to get their "marlocks".
- Faux Horrific: William Connelly's attempts to make asking the boys to leave and being escorted out by security sound threatening, complete with dramatic fanfare and an Evil Laugh.
William Connelly: ...Okay, you know how, like, when you want people to leave but they won't leave, it's really frustrating?
- Ironic Echo: During the episode, Kyle repeatedly calls the Super Advneture Club a fruity little club. When Chef surrenders to the Super Adventure Club...
William Connelly: Yes... looks like our "fruity little club" is safe after all.
- Jerkass: William Connelly.
- Karma Houdini: William Connelly and his Super Adventure Club.
- Killed Off for Real: Chef, but was revived later, as cyborg.
- Knight of Cerebus: William Connelly himself can be seen like this.
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer: "THIS IS WHAT THE SUPER ADVENTURE CLUB ACTUALLY BELIEVES", a Call Back to "Trapped In the Closet".
- One-Shot Character: William Connelly did not reappear anymore.
- Too Dumb to Live: One of the club members shoots Chef rather than the animals that were attacking him.
- This Is Gonna Suck:
William Connelly: Our club has a message, and a secret that explains the mysteries of life!
Stan: Oh Jesus, here we go.
Willaim Connolly: Very well, I'm now going to tell you the secret of the Super Adventure Club.
Stan: We don't wanna hear it.
- Uninstallment: The episode opens with a fake Previously On showing Chef leaving the town.
- Wham Episode