Bury the Lede
Tropes present in this episode include
- Awesome McCoolname: Maxine Angelis.
- Bruce Wayne Held Hostage: At the climax, Reese's capture is due solely to the fact that he can't fight back without Maxine learning who he really is.
- But He Sounds Handsome: Maxine tells John about the research she's doing for a story about a certain Guy in a Suit; John thinks he sounds like a great guy.
- Compensating for Something: Maxine hopes that's not why John owns such a Cool Car.
- Cool Car: The black Porsche John steals for his date with Maxine.
- In reality, it's Jim Caveziel's car.
- So John Reese apparently stole Jim Caviezel's car.
- Dating Service Disaster: John and Maxine's first blind date might qualify as this, despite Finch going out of his way to make them the perfect match online.
- The Dog Was the Mastermind: The head of HR was the campaign manager.
- Doublemeaning Title: "Bury the lede" is newspaper slang for not putting the most important fact in the first sentence ("lede") of a story; Maxine is a reporter who is manipulated into outing an undercover informant, who is then murdered by the real bad guys. The "lede" of her story gets buried in a pine box.
- Eye Take: John's reaction to Zoe's butt slap. It's hilarious.
- Laser Sight: The killers use them.
- Most Annoying Sound: Invoked. Bear enjoys the squeaky toy that Finch got for him a little too much from Finch's perspective. Fortunately he still likes it after Finch removes the squeaker.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Played with when Reese dons a pair of Clark Kent glasses and seems to assume that they make him unrecognizable when standing in the middle of the police station. Granted that he hadn't planned to be there, but still...
- Playing Cyrano: Subverted in that Finch and Reese are trying to get close to Maxine to protect her, but Finch sets up an online dating profile for Reese on the same dating site as Maxine and proceeds to write to (read 'flirt with') her as Reese and gets Reese a date with her.
- Wall of Weapons: The arsenal contained in John Reese's closet. Finch finds it terrifying, the fans find it awesome.note
- Workaholic: Maxine. She never stops working, and one of her reasons for breaking up with John is that she considers herself married to her job.
- You Didn't See That:Zoe: "It was a pleasure meeting you, but it's a shame we never met."