Recap: Person Of Interest S 01 E 06
Season 1, Episode 6
Finch: "Assuming then that she's the victim, any idea who'd want to take her out?"
Reese: "Who wouldn't?"
The latest person of interest is Zoe Morgan, a "fixer" who knows a lot of New York's power players and can solve problems for a price. Posing as her driver, Reese gets close enough to intervene when representatives of a pharmaceutical company try to kill her after she delivers a sensitive recording. Zoe disappears, and Reese and Finch try to track her down while unraveling the mystery behind the recording, which incriminates the company in a murder and a pharmaceutical scam.
Meanwhile, Detective Carter investigates the murder of a retired Mafia hitman who was once the prime suspect in the murder of Marlene Elias — the case files of which were stolen in "Mission Creep"
. Marlene was once the lover of Don
Gianni Moretti and he was suspected of ordering her murder, which was carried out with a kitchen knife; the same knife, stolen from evidence, was used to kill the hitman. Carter suspects that the killer is Moretti and Marlene's illegitimate child, Carl Elias, and enlists the help of the original investigating officer to find out. Later, when Carter visits the officer's apartment, she finds him dead and chases a shadowy figure from the scene.
Tropes present in this episode include
- And Your Little Dog Too: The assassins after Zoe were ordered to kill her and her driver too.
- Arbitrarily Large Bank Account: Finch buys up 8% of Virtanen stock in order to gain access to the company.
- Chekhov's Skill: While Reese and Zoe are breaking into Virtanen, she lampshades that he must be one of those guys who can get out of anything with a paperclip. That proves useful after Douglas catches them.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive
- Exact Words: Zoe didn't want the cops to respond to her break-in. So when they are caught the cop she made the deal with double crosses her, tells the bad guys then tells her "here are the cops, not responding".
- Femme Fatale: Zoe Morgan.
- The Ghost: Elias.
- Ironic Echo: "You have your people, I have mine."
- Also, "You were right, Mr. Keller; thanks to you, I never will have to invest in another company."
- Kiss of Distraction: After being released by Douglas, Zoe pauses to give John a goodbye kiss... and slip him a paperclip.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Finch avenges Dana Miller's murder by taking away what her killer cares most about: his money. All of it.
- Mr. Smith: Zoe is rightly skeptical when her mysterious helper says his name is John.
- Not My Driver: Zoe is suspicious when John replaces her regular driver, and calls the car service to confirm his story.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: "Lucky you."
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Carter suspects that Elias is on one.
- Ship Tease: Reese quite admires Zoe, and their mutual appreciation continues in later episodes.
- Side Effects Include...: The sensitive recording that Zoe is being hunted for is evidence that the CEO and CFO of Virtanen covered up that their new migraine drug has a nasty side effect - a 3% chance of causing fatal heart attacks.
- Stock Episode Titles
- Wham Line - "Did you really think I don't know what's going on in my own company?"
- Working Title: "Killing Zoe", before changing it to "The Fix".