TV Tropes is 149% Funded
View Kickstarter Project
Our Kickstarter campaign has received $74,000 from over 2,000 backers! TV Tropes 2.0 is coming. There is no stopping it now. We have 4 days left. At $75K we can also develop an API and at $100K the tropes web series will be produced. View the project here
and discuss here
Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 08 E 11 Parts The Clonus Horror
Film watched: Clonus
aka Parts: The Clonus Horror
Reportedly the filmmakers weren't too thrilled about getting MSTed until they saw the riffing of the scene where smoke seems to be emanating from Richard's nether regions as he shares a post-coital campfire cuddle with Lena:
Mike: (as Richard) I should go a little easier next time!
Tom: Only you can prevent groin fires.
Crow: She really was on top of Old Smokey, huh?
He was very thankful, however when he was alerted by MSTies that The Island
was a ripoff of his film, which resulted in a very generous out-of-court settlement.
- Actor Allusion: Mike and the 'bots had a lot of fun referring to Peter Graves's role as the host of Biography.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: As Richard reads through a bunch of secret files, Mike Nelson lists off a number of different conspiracies: black helicopters, Roswell, Area 51, Waco, and... the formula for Coca-Cola.
- Brain Bleach: Old Richard's son getting out of the pool and walking his wet, speedoed batch right in front of the waist-high camera didn't do Mike and the Bots any favors.
Mike: No... no, don-OH! We found it- this is the horror!
Servo: Gah, stop it! What've we ever done to you?
- When both Richards pull up their shirts to reveal they have the same birthmark, Mike and the 'bots scream.
- Creator Backlash: Averted: Robert S. Fiveson was leery of the MST3K treatment of his movie until it reached the smoking crotch gag. Then he was won over.
- Credits Gag: As the credits roll, Mike and the 'bots do Biography riffs about the cast and crew, including Graves himself.
"Peter Graves, the underpaid, underrated, incredibly handsome host of Biography tonight on... Biography."
- Creepy Child: The Evil Space Children who cause trouble for Pearl and the gang.
- Dawson Casting: The Evil Space Children, which is played for laughs.
- Downer Ending: Discussed.
Crow: Y'know, this doesn't look like it's headed towards a happy ending.
Mike: Y'know, any ending would make me happier than I've ever been.
Crow: That's true.
- Excited Kids' Show Host: Mike Nelson, in one of the skits, wraps himself in silver foil, dances around, and babbles in Spanish. This is in the running for MST3K's non-riffing Crowning Moment of Funny.
- Earlier in the skit, Crow and Servo did this in a more traditional way. "Today we learned A and 3! Today we learned A and 3!"
- Groin Attack: Bobo is on the receiving of this (repeatedly). "Tante Bobo needs to go see Uncle Reconstructive Urologist."
- Informed Attractiveness: It's all subjective, but Mike, Crow and Servo seem to agree that Clone!Richard isn't an especially handsome fella.
- Perpetual Frowner: Clone!Richard. Lampshaded, as he is recaptured.
- Psychic Powers: The Evil Space Children
- Rooting for the Empire: In-Universe, as Clone Richard is ambushed back at Clonus and kicked in the stomach.
Crow: And they expect the audience to feel bad about this, I guess.
- Running Gag: Lots:
- Every time characters in the film mention "America", Mike and the bots sing "Today!" à la the Neil Diamond song.
- The Groin Attack in the skits.
- Gags about Lena's nose.
- Bang "Ow." Bang "Ow!" Bang "Ow." Bang, ricocheting noises "Ow."
- References to Peter Graves' role as the host of Biography.
- References to Dick Sargent's role as the Other Darrin
: Dick Sargent... Didn't he play Dick York on Bewitched
- One scientist's resemblance to Mario.
- "Parts, the X Horror"
- Shout-Out: The Space Children use the same hand gestures to work their powers as the possessed children in the Star Trek: The Original Series episode "And the Children Shall Lead".
- Sibling Rivalry: As the Knight brothers fight.
Servo: "Boys, not in the house."
Crow: Y'know, this is about a lot more than super-secret government clone projects.
- Also referenced in regards to Peter Graves himself.
Servo: "James Arness: Ugly and Stupid". Tonight on Biography.
- Something Else Also Rises: When Clone Richard runs out of Richard's house and Ricky pins him against the car for a long time.
Crow (as clone!Richard):
I can feel my Clonus
- Soundtrack Dissonance: To try to put the Space Children down for a bit, Servo composes a beautiful lullaby...set to a bombastic march.
- Stunned Silence: Mike's reaction to Crow's nosejob at the end of the movie.
- Take That: In the film, when Clone Richard goes in the "Confessional" booth and asks it what the letters on the beer can he found - "M-I-L-W-A-U-K-E-E" - spell...
- The Talk: The Evil Space Children ask The Question, treating us to a montage of the villains' attempts to explain it. Brain Guy's response is a surprisingly poetic exploration of love, before he dismisses the emotion as unnecessary; Pearl begins a rambling, bitter story about her own failed relationships; and Bobo's advice is...questionable, given it deals with ape-man mating rituals. "You're gonna get kicked in the face, that's always part of it... grab one leg and hold on tight!"
- The Unfavorite: Mike and the Bots joke that Clone-Richard sees Original-Richard as his father and is this to him.
"Do you love me, Clone Daddy?"